cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toilet Seat Hinges

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Toilet Seat Hinges

Over the years, I have had to replace the toilet seat hinges ( wooden seat & lid ) several times.... the reason being the poor design of how the "supports" for the hinges are "connected" to the washer plates that hold the seat to the pan.

toilet seat hinge.jpg

The pic shows the type I have been using... after a period of use, the small screws underneath become loose, and the more use, the more slack there is making the seat slide about, and thus increasing the unstable situation.  this necesitates the removal of the seat, and trying to tighten up those little  screws sufficiently,... an almost impossible task..

Does anyone have a good alternative type, that is not "out of this world" in price, that will not rely on "how tight I can get this screw done up "

10 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Toilet Seat Hinges

I replaced mine recently. Argos job. The problem was it was made of wood, and the screws kept popping out the hinges. I'm not good at DIY, but when I looked the holes became too big, so I couldn't just screw them back in. Maybe it was possible with rawplugs, but I gave up on that idea. I was quite annoyed as it only lasted 3 months.

£40 later I went to my local B&Q and got another one there, plastic one - which seems to have lasted a bit longer. One of those soft closing ones. Which is nice except I live on my own, so there is no-one other than me to wake up Tongue But at least it still works I suppose.

I think the Argos one was [-Censored-] and the B&Q one seems much better.

Community Veteran

DIY tip.... if a hole gets too big for the current screws.... you can fill the hole with good quality contact adhesive, then fill the hole with soft wood plug...( cut roughly to size with a penknife.... hammer in, as if using  a rawlplug  )... or , in emergency... fill with matchsticks, and cut off the excess..

The problem is not the actual seat... it is the design of the hinges, as described in the original post.  I`m looking for Replacement Hinges, that do not have this design,... not a replacement seat and hinges... which generally have the same or similar design for the small screw support.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Its called designed obsolescence Cheesy

they are made to break so you have to buy more Thumbs Up

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran

Amusingly I had to buy some new hinges for the bogseat yesterday as I'd stood on the seat to look out the bathroom window to see what a noise I'd heard outside was while using the facilities, and the left hinge snapped at a weak point... Roll eyes

Bought these ones off ebay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201926724764

Only replaced the seat a few months back, and I broke it already... Funny

Community Veteran

Yeah... good luck with them... they are the same design as the one with the bar across... the screw under the big "disc" is the weak point..   Have trawled through many pics on Google images, and eventually found this type on Ebay for £4.99

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121715222592

Which, "look" as if they will do the job... if not,.. I may find some other use for them, and they will go into the "junk box" as spares !..  Worth a try for less than a fiver ! ! ..Cheesy

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

@shutter £4.99 yes ,,,,,,,, But  Beware the toilet seat hinges with metal nuts have a habit of rusting , then become hard to unscrew , better to get the plastic screw type Thumbs Up

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran

Yeah.. not a big problem...I can use some WD40 on them at the start..and that should stop them going rusty for a while...

Order confirmed email at 15:22        order despatched at 15:56 ... originally estimated to arrive on Thursday... however.. I may get them tomorrow  !..

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

better to coat them in Vaseline, stops them rusting only issue is dust tends to stick to it.
Community Veteran

shutter wrote:

Yeah... good luck with them... they are the same design as the one with the bar across... the screw under the big "disc" is the weak point..  

Not had any issues with the current hinges (aside from my breaking one!) as they're of the same type, and if need be, there's always JB-Weld, damned good stuff, makes Araldite look like snot...Grin

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Epoxy putty is great for repairing screw holes in wood. Kneed a small blob to activate the catalyst then push it into the duff screw holes. The putty gets hard in a few minutes, so reinsert the screws before the putty hardens. It has full strength in 24 hours.

A few pence worth of putty can often rescue damaged items, including wooden toilet seats.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.