cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toast & Toasters !

Community Veteran
Fixes: 30

Toast & Toasters !

So as not to Hi -Jack the thread about the fires in Australia, !

@Minivanman  is looking for a toaster that only toast one slice at a time.... I remember when .....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leecroft-Quality-Fireside-450mm-18-Flame-Eye-Black-Toasting-Fork-Toast-Fi...

was the only way we could toast our bread,... and we all had to wait our turn... 6 of us ... our turn was defined by our age... I was somewhere in the middle so it was not too long a wait...but the toast was marvellous.

18 REPLIES 18
RobPN
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 5

Re: Toast & Toasters !

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@shutter 

I just thought it was OK to hijack my own thread plus there was (albeit a tenacious one) a link between fires and burnt toast. 😂

Still looking by the way. 

PS Do you recall those sort of double angle upright toasters from the 60s. They hinged back each side for either one or two slices so I wonder if the toasted one a time. Hmm, might try eBay for one... and electrocute myself while I'm at it!

198kHz
Hero
Fixes: 17

@Minivanman wrote:

I just thought it was OK to hijack my own thread plus there was (albeit a tenacious one) a link between fires and burnt toast. 😂

Tenuous - but we knew what you meant.  😉

To err is human, but to really foul things up requires an algorithm.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Bloody auto correct.

Grr. 😉

Community Veteran

@Minivanman wrote:

@shutter 

PS Do you recall those sort of double angle upright toasters from the 60s. They hinged back each side for either one or two slices so I wonder if the toasted one a time. Hmm, might try eBay for one... and electrocute myself while I'm at it!

I think they were around in the late 20`s  / 30`s  ...  my granny and two aunties had one... magic Smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdV8Cs5TEW8

RobPN
Aspiring Hero

@shutter wrote:

@Minivanman wrote:

@shutter 

... and electrocute myself while I'm at it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdV8Cs5TEW8

That toaster in the video looks like it could have another dangerous added advantage - I'm surprised the commentator didn't go on to say "And here we have a nice area on top to boil a pan"   Cheesy

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

I'm sure they were @shutter but I do remember buying one as a wedding present for a cousin back in the early 60s it being cheap and all I could afford at the time. Mind you, that one sure looks lethal. 😨

Baldrick1
Hero
Fixes: 105

Actually the UTube one looks like it has a sheathed element so should be pretty safe. These sheathed elements as used on old cooker rings are considered slow to heat up these days in this sort of application but in my opinion are safer than some modern ones, which use an open element in order to heat up quicker.

The element looks to me to be a variation on sheathed coiled cooker rings used around this time on some electric cooker hobs.. These sheathed elements are still used today in ovens, grills  etc.

Community Veteran

The one my granny had,... if I remember rightly, had an asbestos plate with the element wound across it horizontally, but not sure if it was a coiled wire, or a single wire...but id did glow red and was quite quick to do the toast..

Just had some toast and butter, with Marmite, for a light snack ! ! ... Smiley

Highlighted
Fixes: 743

These will toast one slice at a time https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dualit-Classic-2-Slot-Toaster-Stainless/dp/B00008BQZE/

Though not cheap, we've had ours for nearly 20 years and still going strong.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@dvorak 

Jeepers, not at that price although at my age it would probably last me lifetime!

Community Veteran

Don't really like toasters but I do have one just in case. I picked that up from the pile the students next door chucked out. Looked like new after a bit of a clean up. Probably was nearly new as the students tend to buy lots of small utensils to use which they then just chuck out when they move on.

Still prefer my gas grill.

RobPN
Aspiring Hero

I use both the electric toaster and the gas grill when making a cheese and tomato toastie.

First place two slices of bread together in the same slot of the toaster so that only one side of each slice gets toasted.

Then place both slices with the un-toasted side facing upwards on the grill tray.

Then proceed as expected, by covering the two uncooked sides with sliced cheese and tomato (covering only half of each with tomato) and cook under the gas grill before slapping the two together for a delicious toastie.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@RobPN 

A third method one of our daughters showed us.

Cheese and onion/tomato sandwich (not to thick), spray each side with vegetable (not olive) oil, fry each side slowly on medium heat allowing for  cheese to melt and for bread to get nice and brown à la  fried bread,

Yummy and tasty.