cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ToDay's Phone Scam

justmeuk

ToDay's Phone Scam

Warning

Some fool calling from 002086412961 reporting that my IP address has downloaded some malicious file/software, Really I don't think so what relay is truobeling is that only three people other than Plusnet Have the number and they are My mother Sister and there carer, the caller with no disrespect sounded Indian he even asked me to turn on my PC I gave him the best reply I could witch started with f and ended with off then hung up please do the same

Justmeuk

8 REPLIES
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: ToDay's Phone Scam

Hi, and welcome to the forum.  Smiley

I wouldn't worry too much about your number being known. These scammers just pick them at random, knowing that most households are on line, and most of those use Windows.

If he knew your name or address, that would be a different matter...

Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

@justmeuk - Hello and Welcome to the Forums.

I think you may have been a victim of a dialler, that simply dials random numbers what to do the next time is to ask them who your ISP is and of course your IP address. If they had any sense they'd now know your head didn't Velcro up the back and they'd hang up. But they'd maybe guess as BT to which you reply 'Sorry you must have the wrong number that's not my provider'.

I tend to go out of my way to wind these clowns up, I do have better things to do but it can be really worth the effort when they start to fizz and swear when you tell them you can't find the Start button on your Mac!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

I treat them as a challenge to see how long I can keep them on the phone before they twig I'm running Linux and are just stringing them alongSmiley At least while I'm talking to them they can't be scamming someone else.

justmeuk

Hi and Thanks

Been looking around and one has the idea and done it of setting up a premium rate number only £10 calls to him cost 10p and he gets 7p per Min he has made £300 not really suitable for me non the less a good idea and thanks for the reply

Justmeuk

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

The problem with these types of scams is that they direct users to the windows error reports (that are full of random errors anyway) to scare their mark into giving the scammer access to the computer to then lock them out and demand £300 or more to give them back access. This video always makes me laugh with this guy giving a scammer the run around:

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

justmeuk

Hi and Thanks

Being really new I have no idea how to say thanks to all. Maybe you can let me Know.

All the replies Have been Helpful and without any criticism I have of course had the PPI calls but have to say this is my first phone Scam, maybe I'm Just lucky not to have had more.

Again thanks for your advice

justmeuk :-)

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

well bradford councilor has just found the MS windows scam LOL  as usual the council is  so far behind the times

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/14484670.WARNING__Beware_of_computer_repairs_phone_scam/

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

We had a call yesterday from someone claiming to be from bt. They said the phone line would be disconnected in two hours so they could work on the server and I needed to reboot. Foreign language as usual so I told him it sounded like a scam and he offered me his staff number - like I can check it lol.

I hung up. Internet never went down as far as I am aware.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!