cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To scared (2)

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

To scared (2)

Whilst I agree with a number of views express in the original topic perhaps those who commented which includes myself should ask the following question. What they would have done if they had been a teacher, policeman, social worker who had been made aware of this level of child abuse, note the question is what would you have done and not what you would like to have done.
I Doubt there will be many who respond to that question so perhaps I should start to say what I would have done in that situation.
First I would have gone and discussed it with my immediate manager and getting a negative response gone one step above him, no doubt not making myself popular but again getting a negative answer, by negative I mean leave well alone and do not get involved.
Next I would have discussed it with my colleagues who no doubt were aware of the problem and ask them if they would back me up , bearing in mind some would be quick to agree what was happening but when it came to take direct action such as going to the press few would be by my side, also bare in mind the press would need written evidence and anything removed from an organisation would be considered as theft resulting in dismissal and in any case unlikely to get printed.
So what would I have done, well with little money and 2 small children my priority would have been my own family so basically I would have done nothing, other than find alternative employment that did not leave me exposed to these things.
A cowards way out ? Yes I accept that BUT what would you have done ?
NB. Just to be clear I have never worked with children or in any of the professions mentioned above.
9 REPLIES
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Re: To scared (2)

Personally for myself , any abuse towards any child no matter of race creed or color ,, if you know  anything you should do your utmost to get it reported !!
if you read the papers 12 more have come forward http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-29036742
this is not just a Muslim problem !   
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I worked for a large multi-national firm, at a low level, and one of the men I worked alongside was 23, he was having a sexual relationship with a girl of 14. He was also open in telling people he bought lots of sweets and drinks for all the kids who went round his house.
I objected to working with him, and went to senior management, who passed it onto the HR dept, who passed it down to our line manager, who was a friend of this man. I was sent to Coventry.
Then shortly after this everyone disappeared, leaving this man and myself alone in a store room -I had been set up. He attacked me using his karate skills, all poses and shouts,a few kicks. Fortunately for me, and unfortunately for him, I had been brought up 'on the wrong side of the tracks' and dealt a lot more damage to him than he did to me. I was able to return to work. After they pulled the racking off him, they sent him to hospital and kept him in for two days.
I was called to the managers office and asked to find employment elsewhere. They were protecting him.  I left shortly afterwards after my line manager had some racking fall on him.
Would I do it again..I don't know. I would probably cut out the middlemen and do something physical myself.
nanotm
Pro

if an initial report flagged up through the proper channels didn't produce any activity I would contact a media outlet on the condition on anonymity for myself and the victims and broadcast the whole thing openly to force corrective action,
being a parent if I became aware that my child was being abused I would probably do something stupid,
having unfortunately been in a position where I was working with youngsters for a short period I became aware that an individual was taking liberties, fortunately for him and everyone else concerned the matter was dealt with in minutes by the plod, who hats off to them had the guy in custody where he got beaten to a pulp before shipping off to a holding centre to await trial, strangely the contract cleaner was the only person to face a charge of aggravated assault (the plod failed to realise his kid was one of the victims in time), 
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
David_W
Rising Star

What would I have done?  I'd have phoned the NSPCC informing them that there is widespread abuse of children occurring with what may be a cover up by the higher levels, letting them know that there are hundreds, possibly over 1,000 children being affected by this with no action being taken.  I'd hope that a large charity like the NSPCC would be able to take it up with the very senior people in government who would launch an investigation.
If, after a reasonable amount of time the NSPCC didn't do anything and no investigation was forthcoming, I'd go to the major press of the opposite of the current council (i.e. a Labour I'd go to The Sun), nothing the press like to do than score political points.
If nothing was *still* happening, mumsnet or whatever it is called, that forum for mothers, I'd write a forum post there listing the details, saying what was happening, you can bet £1,000 that if mumsnet took it up, the PM would be on the case in 10 seconds flat.
Community Veteran

Some interesting comments and proposed course of action.
Perhaps I should have made it clear about the period of time I was talking about, the suggestions made might well have lead to action if we are talking about the last 5 years but I was thinking much further back to the 1980 - 2000 period.
No newspaper would print something without proof or documented evidence and it's even possible that some newspapers may well have backed away from any immigrant issues for fear of being branded racist.
How many people for example knew about saville, ? there was even a video of him talking to a reporter who asked him about child abuse and he made it clear that such suggestions, which of course he denied, would have a serious impact on his fund raising activities.
It is even said that Thatcher was made aware of more than one senior MP involved in child abuse so can you get much higher than that ?
NSPCC well fair comment but where does some of their funding come from, if they went ahead with legal action and for any reason it failed it could have destroyed the society as there would be claims of libel, not difficult for essential documents to go missing and for a number of people it would have been in their interests for documents to be lost as if the case was successful they might be the next ones to come under the spotlight.
In more recent times one researcher from the Home Office identified a number of children at risk, the response of the authority was to send her on a diversity course, and telling her to remove parts of the research which to her credit she did not do and the report went to the Home Office. Then what happened, you have guessed right, nothing !
nanotm
Pro

the case of abuse that thatcher was aware of was about someone who was overly keen on corporal punishment for his offspring and had conducted such an activity in public (not at the time a criminal offence) and that he should calm himself down as a new law proposal would make that sort of thing illegal, strange that the whole case didn't get revealed by the labour party muckraker who passed it on the press...
between 1980-2000  there were sections of the gutter press that would publish any allegation regardless of any factual consideration preferring to pay the measly 50k fine for doing so if they should loose any follow up libel case because it was less than they made from selling the copies containing the stories it was only post y2k that the limit was lifted that media groups became more careful about printing anything, you are correct that certain persons were a no go zone but why would you target a celebrity directly if you had a story about some nobody that would sell even more copies as a public interest story and let the journo's then compile all the evidence for a full on gang land style expose,
the only reason a paper would ignore such a thing was if it linked directly to someone of means who could hurt them and their future business
Community Veteran

@nanotm,
Sadly this abuse is so widespread that I suspect your last line is totally accurate, it would only take the owner of the press to make a phone call to the editor and it would be dropped.
The Owner may not be the abuser but if one of his friends was calling in a favour or the story would have a negative impact on the government that would be enough for the call to be made.
Fully agree it's totally wrong but it happens.
nanotm
Pro

fortunately pre y2k that only applied to 3 newspapers in this country the remainder were merrily calling for revolt against the "ruling class"  the now defunct screws of the world regularly challenged the political classes and there proclivities irrespective of any evidence and there owner was safely ensconced in his private villa beyond the yoke of Whitehall, even after the paper was sold to news group international it carried on in the same blasé fashion until the payouts for libel were uncapped, and then they hacked peoples phones or email to ensure there info was legit and quietly got all the cases against them dropped because they actually had proof of the occurrence (even if criminal prosecution wasn't forthcoming)
in some ways its sad that the status quo changed as despite the methodology they used they did indeed keep a lot of people honest (before the laziness & illegal hacking activities) but as soon as the libel payout ceiling was lifted the writing was on the wall for the gutter press ....
Community Veteran

And another factor to consider was the old boys network, a number of  these people were members of private clubs or secret societies.
Most people will remember the case of Lord Lucan who must have had support to "disappear' so it is likely that no matter what the crime the loyalty of other male members can be counted on.
I say male as no women were allowed into these clubs or societies.