Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To repair... or not repair.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: To repair... or not repair.

Points taken @Longliner 

Our cooker is far from being over-used and what normal use/fair wear and tear/mileage is I'm not sure, but with only m'self and the Mrs using what was a very expensive cooker which we expected to see us out having bought it when I retired....

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@Mook 

Good point, but as far as I know the thermostat on our cooker does not have any moving parts but even so, happy to accept it not longer works, just not happy I am find it so damned difficult to get another one. Knuppel

Community Veteran
Fixes: 43

@Minivanman - It does, you can turn the knob can't you?

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

I can, but the thermostat from what I can make out sits behind the grill control knob.

You'll know from my posts that I'm am ex service engineer and whilst not necessarily being a good one, it does get right up my nose to a) pay some bod to fix it and b) get ripped off like my younger brother nearly was for the spare part. 

Not on my watch anyway. Cool smiley

Community Veteran

That's usually the case but the temp probe for the device itself will travel all the way to the grill where it will be fixed to the frame work. This is usually a wire tube that contains another wire that expands and contracts subject to the temperature it encounters regulating the power to the grill as it does so.

But as has been mentioned before there may well be a 'pattern' part for it available on the internet. If you can get the part number for it have a search to see what you can find.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@Mook 

Indeed Mook, and I can access the probe easy enough from inside the grill but not knowing if it's the probe or the thermostat itself is faulty I have been trying to source the entire assembly which is avaible for the oven but not it seems for the grill - unless of course they are one and the same which nobody has been able to tell me despite asking - and I am not prepare to spend fifty quid or whartever on what may well be the wrong part. 

Planned or built-in obsolescence, is that what they call it these days?

PS.

I was thinking of ordering a new wife from Thailand, but you can never be sure of what you might be getting these days. Wink

Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

Buy a AGA.

Nothing much to go wrong on them !

On a more serious note it's worth thinking about what you need rather than what you like, Hobs and ovens come in various shapes and sizes and certainly a lot cheaper to replace than a combined unit. In fact it's hard to thing what could go wrong with a gas hob as there is nothing to them, last for years.

Even a basic electric oven has little in it, buy a spare element and you are fixed up for years !

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 5

@Minivanman  what is the model number/name of your Rangemaster ?

Community Veteran

I think you'll find they're one and the same @Minivanman as it reduces stock requirements and makes assembly / repair easier too.

If you have a heat source like a lighter gently heat the probe end and listen for a click. If you can't hear one it may be duff but if you then turn the grill on while the probe is hot and it actually goes in (it shouldn't given enough heat at the probe) then at least you'll know what you need to replace.

idonno
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

@Minivanman If you can't find your model and parts list online and depending how difficult it is to access, I would get the number off the stat. With a number, I'll be surprised if it didn't pop up on the net - even on fleabay.

Usually the probe and stat are one anyway. Just don't assume the oven stat will be the same. I did much the same when the oil boiler broke over Christmas, only to find that when it turned up, the bulb on the probe was smaller and longer on the original. The new didn't fit the hole. Had to re-order. Just don't go there.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@Nibiru 

It's a Classic 90 6491 sn: 100273. Thumbs Up

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@Mook 

Good suggestion. Have tried that and there is no response either audible or otherwise. My thought was that even it was OK to change it anyway as part of a combined assembly. 

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@idonno 

The probe looks to be a push fit into the thermostat. As for the oven being the same well indeed, assume nothing. Been caught out to often for that. Wink

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Update.

Spares supplier passed to me by Rangemaster turns out to be the same company that has so far not bothered to reply to three emails. So they then passed on a phone number but on phoning (again three times) an automatic reply asks me to choose one of two options neither of which work and the line then goes dead. Checked them out on-line and they are a service call-out only outfit... and for my particular cooker they quoted £175 just to attend so gawd only knows what they would charge for parts - and a spare part is all I'm after!

Crazy times Crazy2

Given that we do not use the grill that much we'll now probably just put the grill pan away somewhere and use that section to keep any plates warm when using the oven below. We do that sometimes anyway.

Last gasp might now try eBay fingers crossed.

Mary mother of Jesus, how difficult can it be?

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@gleneagles 

AGA over Rangemaster? Seems they are now the same company.Roll eyes