cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To ban or not to ban?

paulneale

To ban or not to ban?

It didn't mean the end of Hotmail or Yahoo!, so how will Facebook fare in the latest reported bid to curb the potentially unproductive browsing habits of staffers?
http://networks.silicon.com/webwatch/0,39024667,39168216,00.htm?r=1
Is this kind of control a useful way of managing rogue clickers, or is it just another distraction from badly implemented productivity measures?
Discuss!  Smiley
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: To ban or not to ban?

I can't (personally) imagine that it would do much.
One place that probably will ban most social networking sites is schools, because they have no control over the content etc. that pupils are uploading, and would rather they didn't do it the school. There's also been reports that some of them are prone to more undesirable users pretending to be kids etc.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

> How do you do online? (primarily)
Do what? What are you on about Paul?  (Whatever happened to Friends Reunited anyway?)
Emma
Grafter

Hmmm being new to the Facebook revolution I have found it a great way to get in touch with old school friends and basically "show off" my new life. Its there on their screen and hard to ignore.
I tend to only go on in small doses though, as my OH doesn't approve....  Roll eyes
I do believe its going to play a huge part in modern life, I've had a customer call with a fault on their line desperate to get back online just to do some "facebooking" lol.
Lets wait and see, Utube may bring down the internet first, then what will we do!
Emma
clockley
Grafter

I currently run a myspace, and co-run another for my band, with another one lined up for a side-project and have yet avoided setting up Facebook, as it seems like the next thing that everyone **has** to do, just to have 15,000 friends.  Although I think that I am being forced to now, as a lot of my friends in real life have set it up, and I now have emails saying that they have added me.  I don't exist on there yet!  How confusing!
At the moment I am a bit meh about it, but I shall keep you all informed.  Should you want to know or not, in the Facebook / Myspace / Bebo / WAYN tradition.
Carl
Community Veteran

Quote from: clockley
I currently run a myspace, and co-run another for my band, with another one lined up for a side-project and have yet avoided setting up Facebook, as it seems like the next thing that everyone **has** to do, just to have 15,000 friends.

This is something that really irks me. I love Facebook - it's great for keeping more up-to-date with people's lives than would otherwise be possible, and for sharing photos of days out with friends and that kind of thing. But I really really cannot stand it when people who are barely acquaintances add me as a 'friend', particularly if, should I accept the friend request, they then don't interact with me in any way whatsoever. It really does make it seem that for many people, Facebook is just some kind of competition to get as large a number of friends on there as possible. Which in some ways can be quite embarrassing for me - I have far fewer friends on there than most people - but on the other hand it's nice, because I don't have to worry about personal details etc. falling in to the hands of any Tom, Dick or Harry.