cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To Fonera or not to Fonera which is nobla my friends

TORPC
Grafter

To Fonera or not to Fonera which is nobla my friends

I am toying with the idea of Fonera until hopefully PN will re-instate there version of Fon as previously discussed (and do not RePeAt do not want to assign to BT) as I am pretty much requiring access to the internet more and more whilst out and about, and think that the dongles are not getting any cheaper eps P.A.Y.G Vodafone which I have had since it was £15 per 3 Gig of data now its £15 per 2 Gig
What would your suggestion(s) / Solution(s) be ?Huh
Are you currently using Fonera or a similar service ?Huh
and
what are your experiences ?Huh
Does Fonera live up to it's rep ?Huh
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Re: To Fonera or not to Fonera which is nobla my friends

I use a Samba mobile sim. You "pay" for it by watching ads. You can get 2Gb/month quite easily for free. I got the sim when MSE had an offer on, but if you want one pm me and I will give you an invite that will cut the cost in half for the sim card (normal or mini)
You could get a FON adaptor for £40? then use the free wifi as has been discussed in the Fon thread.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

get a three dongle there a lot cheaper to run and give better data plans iirc, failing that grab a 3 mobile on contract ( all you can eat smart phone for £13 a month is there basic model which they update regularly) Vodafone etc were always overpriced for there products and often have no better network coverage or speed(s).
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I, also, use SAMBA MOBILE..... as HB says....you "watch" adverts, at home in the evenings, to gain credit....... actually, you click on the advert and let it run, go and do something else for the time the advert is running.. then come back and "claim your credit".... ( like a youtube video, it gives a time scale below )    I started doing this last Feb, and have managed to get almost 7Gb in credits.... not difficult... I don`t use it much, but it is nice to know that when I go anywhere, I should be able to connect my mini laptop and join in the forum !... ( perhaps I should get out more often  Grin Grin )... The dongle and the sim card cost me £25.00  not sure what the current price is....  http://www.sambamobile.com/Home/Samba ; should give you info... You can always purchase some time if you do run out, so it is not limited to what you have "watched"...
itsme
Grafter

Been a Fonera for many years. Longer than BT alliance with Fon so I am a Bill and I get a share of the money if any user pay to use my Fon connection. When BT got involved they stopped any UK payment going to the the Fonera and BT pocket all the money.
I use the hotspots regularly mainly BTFon as I work all around Suffolk and mobile data is either not available or very slow. I also use Fon when abroad 
digitalham
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I've had a Fonera+ for quite a few years.
Some months ago I noticed that the Android Fon autologin app was no longer available in the UK when I wanted to add it to a different device. I did manage to extract it from where I'd installed it and also found a later version which I was able to dowload using a VPN
Then a short time ago it stopped working so I tried to buy another and found I can't as they were showing out of stock. Luckily after further investigation I found the PSU output had gone very low so I was able to just replace that.
It looks to me like somebody (BT maybe) is trying to stop new non-BT Fon use.
Have you actually tried to buy that Fon router - I checked just now and the one you linked to still shows out of stock if you try to get one.
For cheap 3G take a look at Ovivo - one off SIM purchase and you get a modest allowance every month for free.
itsme
Grafter

I use ovivo but in Suffolk you lucky to get a 2G connection so Fon is used more.