cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Titanic coverage

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Titanic coverage

Whilst being aware of the significance of the tragic sinking of the Titanic one hundred years ago. I wonder if anyone else has grown just a bit tired of the wall to wall coverage by the media particularly television over the last few weeks. Its been a bit like Christmas, you can't get away from it.
However, did anybody else catch ITV's "Words of the Titanic" last evening, as a slightly different take on the stories of four survivors including second officer Charles Lightoller. After all there can't be much new to find out or be said about the event now.
Narrated by Charles Dance it portrayed the writings, notes and diary entries of the survivors. I thought it  was excellent and put the BBC's offerings with Len Goodman firmly in its place.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Titanic coverage

Have not watched ANY of the progs...... haven`t even seen the film....  Roll eyes (original b&w , or any "sequels" )
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Must admit I’ve seen both films, the second whilst onboard an Icebreaker which seemed a bit ironic.
Thought the Titanic Memorial cruise passengers ‘line dancing’ to the theme music from the Titanic Movie sounded a bit weird.
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: Petlew
I wonder if anyone else has grown just a bit tired of the wall to wall coverage by the media particularly television
Has got rather ott.
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Quote from: shutter
...... haven`t even seen the film.... 

I was going to watch the film, but then I read a spoiler which revealed - 'The ship sinks.'
Not young enough to know everything
Fixes: 47

Having seen the film I can confirm that Grin
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Teds31
Grafter

one good thing we shall not have to watch the next centenary. Ted
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat
Having seen the film I can confirm that

Are you sure about that? I was told it was unsinkable...

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Fixes: 47

I bet you are glad you didn't use your boarding ticket then Wink
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat
I bet you are glad you didn't use your boarding ticket then Wink

Lost it in a game of cards to some fool called Jack...

randpwar
Grafter

Quote from: Petlew
Are you sure about that? I was told it was unsinkable...

I read a '10 myths about the Titanic' recently (Guardian, I think) which suggested that this claim was never made
Community Veteran

I'm a little curious, has the Titanic 100 year anniversary had the same kind of coverage in the States.
Maybe artmo can tell us since he is there at this time.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I doubt if it was "nationwide" coverage, but I suspect that New York, and Nova Scotia had their fair share of the stuff.!
(edit)  according to our local news (meridian tonight) there were big processions and church services in Halifax. N.S. to commemorate the event)
Community Veteran

It's made it onto the national news here in the US as well.
Community Veteran

There are a number of people with artifacts from the Titanic.  Here's some news about an auction earlier this month:
Artifacts