cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Titanic - Night to Remember

Community Veteran

Titanic - Night to Remember

Watched Night to Remember again this evening - and apart from the technical details of the ship - I still think this film is better than the fairly recent 'Titanic'
As always - Kenneth Moore played a major part in making it a good film
25 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Titanic - Night to Remember

Quite agree mal0z. However there is a fundamental difference between the two films:
A night to remember, is a dramatisation of the events surrounding the loss of the Titanic.
Titanic, is a love story, with the loss of the Titanic as a back-drop.
A fine line I realise.
Incidentally, Titanic, is one of the very few films that doesn't transfer to a smallish TV screen very well. Unless you're the owner of a massive 50" TV, it is much better seen at the cinema. However its myriad of celebrated background imperfections are much more obvious on a big screen.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

See: http://www.moviemistakes.com/film1299
Don't open it if you don't like your illusions being shattered.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Fixes: 47

Similar to here http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120338/goofs
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

If course - what film is 100% accurate - non i would imagine.

And what about the conspiracy theory that says it wasn't the Titanic that sank, but her slightly older sister ship the Oceanic.
It wasn’t RMS Titanic which sunk but its sister ship the Olympic. Rather than stump up for repair costs after the Olympic crashed, the shipping line switched ships, crashed the Titanic and cashed in on a massive insurance payout.
The book that puts forth this theory is very interesting and worth a read  http://www.titanic-titanic.com/titanic_conspiracy_theory.shtml
Community Veteran

Quote from: mal0z

I still think this film is better than the fairly recent 'Titanic'
As always - Kenneth Moore played a major part in making it a good film

Agreed.
Community Veteran

In Titanic; in reality Jack and Rose, due to strict class divisions prevalent at the time would almost certainly have never met aboard the ship. But that would make a real mess of the story.

N/A

Yes, it was a very good film. My friend's father was in it - he played the captain of the Californian who didn't
respond to the distress calls until it was too late.
Community Veteran

Poppy - a good question for your friends father to ponder on - why did the Californian go to see in such a hurry, with few passengers - when there was a major shortage of coal, go on the route she did, and then stop in the path of the Titatanic. And what about the mystery ship she saw about 5 miles away ?. ( re part of the conspiracy theory ).  http://www.titanic-titanic.com/californian.shtml
This conspiracy theory really would make a good dramatic film - but the filmakers might not get much cooperation in Belfast !
Fixes: 125

Titanic was one of the most boring films I ever endured.
Up there (or is it down there?) with The Bodyguard, all Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, AI, Matrix - there's so many  Grin
Maybe a new thread is needed  Cheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Did someone tell the ending before you watched it then  Wink
But they did go to extensive - though not perfect -lengths to construct a model that was fairly like the real ship. Even down to the three screws -  the centre one being driven by the turbine, they got the leaving harbour bit wrong - it was only used at high speed, but then later when the OOW ordered full astern, the centre screw didn't rotate.
the detailed staircase in First class etc etc . 
Marconi Radio room equipment, Marconigram notepads

Fixes: 125

Nah - I had a good guess  Grin
I am talking about the James Cameron version, though.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

It will be interesting to see what the new Dambusters film will be like - how technically accurate, how historically accurate - given we know a lot more now that when the first film was made. Are they rebuilding replica aircraft ?
mentalist3d
Grafter

@mal0z: One of the terrestrial channels done a documentary on the conspiracy theory about the Titanic switch, and it was very convincing. I must say I do believe the theory more than what is generally accepted, as people can go to great lengths to save money and secure profit.
Community Veteran

Well I'm fairly sceptical about conspiracy theories in general, but Robin Gardner's book - given he is not an expert in ships, history or whatever - certainly made me think.
I didn't see that programme on TV - were there any expert witnesses - i.e Marine Engineers , surveyors, reputable historians etc
Physically the Oceanic and Titanic were not identical - and even from a few hundred yards noticeably different - especially around the boat deck area and photos from the time do really raise doubts.
The Oceanic was severely damaged in the collision with the warship - yet didn't spend very long back in Belfast - yet lasted for many many years.
The Titanic is still big business and understandably many people have scoffed at the theory, and no doubt governments have been involved too.

Another conspiracy theory about shooting of John Kennedy that is interesting is  the evidence it had to be more than one man - and the magic bullet etc.