cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tipping Point?

Fixes: 125

Tipping Point?

I thought Golden Balls was the most boring, pointless TV quiz show but having caught a good part of Tipping Point on ITV this afternoon I think that takes top place for me.
The game-play is based around an 'extraordinary machine' which turns out to be a giant penny-pusher machine similar that seen in arcades across the country.
This has lead me to ask what are your favourite/least favourite games shows of today and yesteryear?
(In no particular order)
Some of my favourites have been:
Call My Bluff
QI
Ask the Family
Telly Addicts
A Question of Sport (back in the 79's and 80's)
Never Mind the Buzzcocks
They Think It's All Over
And my least favourite include:
Was It Something I Said
The remake of Take Your Pick with Des O'Conner
Lingo
Eggheads

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

24 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Tipping Point?

I think the boringness with tipping point is that like all game shows it is essentially a general knowledge question and answer show. No matter what fancy graphics, machinery, colours, hosts, celbrities you use, it's still question and bloomin answer. If you're not good at that sort of thing and can't come up with any answers while watching at home the entire show is a waste of your time. Tipping point is a fine example.

Isn't it about time we brought back Gordon Burns and the Krypton Factor?

The Gladiators? Even the saturday morning kids game show with the full size mouse trap game hosted by craig charles or whatever his name is from Red Dwarf.
TV these days is incredibly boring. Sure, penny pushers in the arcades are great fun to play and watch but you don't get the arcade attendant coming up between every coin with a general knowledge question that determines if you can put in another coin!
The krypton factor was great. It had bits of everything from general knowledge, an assault course, even a airline flight sim along with some game I was always useless at where they'd show a quick short story and the contestants had to spot the difference between the first and second versions. Some of the show was boring but I'd always tune in for the assault course and the flight sim. Gladiators.. well Ulrika Johnson, Jet .. what more can I say?  Tongue (Talking of which, wasn't Ulrika a great weathergirl years ago!)
For those thinking that the KF is an old format idea, here is a modern (ish) version of it from around 15 or so years back with the lovely Penny Smith co-hosting it along with burnsie:

But no, we get the really boring stuff or cookery shows encouraging us all to eat more food. Then they wonder why we're getting fatter.
You don't even get DIY programs on ITV now.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

One of my favourites is Pointless. Very entertaining Smiley Smiley
Community Veteran

and that show certainly lives up to its name too!
The only good bit about that one is the host!
Community Veteran

Perhaps it goes over your head Wink
Community Veteran

Maybe so but if it does then the rest of the nation are probably the same  Crazy
Seriously it's one of those formats that has the novelty approach that quickly becomes very boring from my POV. Sure, there is light hearted humour in there but where is the action?
Exactly.
PowerLee
Rising Star

The game shows I like:
The Crystal Maze - BUT only the Richard O'Brien series.
The Chase
Knightmare
Have I Got News For You
Qi
Never Mind The Buzz Cock's - Mark Lamarr series.
Banzai
The one that I really cant stand is Bargain Hunt, David Dickinson was bad enough but Tim Wonnacott takes it to another level of reaching for the remote control to switch channels.
Community Veteran

How did I forget 'Have I Got News For You?'  Always amusing and I never miss it Smiley Smiley
Fixes: 125

Not sure how I forgot  HIGNFY - surely a new series is due soon Undecided

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

2u2me
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Don`t forget Dale`s Supermarket Sweep  Shocked
Community Veteran

yeah but supermarket sweep.. come on, even that had the Q&A thing in it. Besides, unless it's with the Top gear gang, who really wants to watch a show about supermarkets and shopping?  Crazy
HIGNFY .. yes great show it has to be said despite the Q&A thing it's very enjoyable.
Am I the only one who used to dislike blockbusters but enjoy the theme and the blocks flying through the futuristic city?  Crazy
TORPC
Grafter

Cant forget 321 ===> Dusty bin Roll eyes
Or
The Bull that throws sharp pointed objects at a coloured / segmented board & tries to hit his own eye Cheesy
Or
The selling of the centuries Cheesy
Or
Trying to work out what tune from a musical note Roll eyes
Community Veteran

Quote from: TORPC
The Bull that throws sharp pointed objects at a coloured / segmented board & tries to hit his own eye Cheesy

Bullie will never be the same without Jim (whats_his_name) presenting it. The best bit about that show was the opening and cartoon! The rest was (imo) rather boring.
TORPC
Grafter

Quote from: 7up
<snip>
Jim (whats_his_name) presenting it.
<snip>

I think he shares his name with other sharp pointed sticks that are also aimed at bullie's eye (poor bully) needs the RNIB Smiley Roll eyes
Brings me to my next point (no humans was harmed by this pun) or (were they) ?Huh
What was the William tell / Robin hood string / wood / pointed thingymajig type game show called ?Huh
Community Veteran

A question of sport. Now theres a waste of a gameshow. It should be banned by Ofcom. Sports folk are already wrongly treated like heroes, i don't see why we should have a game show worshipping them too.
What about Busmans holiday? - Anyone remember that?!  Cheesy