Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tinned Food items sourced in the EU

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tinned Food items sourced in the EU

Out of interest, we checked the source of food items in a selection of canned food goods in our cupboards....

Quite a few, in fact most, had food sourced in the EU, and Europe in general, even in what you would call British companies food items.

Even basic items like Baked Beans, Sweetcorn, frozen chicken portions etc.

As has been documented before, we keep a decent stock of food, so no panic buying here.

I think the main problem, if one is to exist, will be fresh Fruit & Veg, especially out of season.

Down mainly to potential transport delays at the ports.

Dig for Victory.jpg

Well we are an Island, lots of fish in the sea !

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: Tinned Food items sourced in the EU

We try to eat as little processed food as we can so I guess that keeps those imports down a bit but like yourself we tend to keep a decent stock of stuff in our small pantry (yes, we do have one of those!)

As for those fish, a quick google check tells me that we export somewhere in the region of 75% to the EU with food imports overall at around 25%. Not an exact science but two or three 'non media' sources seem to agree on those percentages.

Just spaghetti for dinner last night, with Mrs Minivanman's home made sauce made in turn from last year's home grown tomatoes. Bottle of plonk from Argentina... so in your face France, Spain and Italy. Wink

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

One of the items I missed out are tinned tomatoes, chopped & plum, which all originate from Italy.

Chopped, they are an essential ingredient in many things we cook from scratch, and have a good write up.

Many TV Chefs like them too...

Plum, microwaved, go nice with GF grilled Sausage & Onions for breakfast, drained first.

We do have a substantial stock of both.

So my mission, next time we go supermarket shopping, is to look at ingredient sources.

As & when, and if, we depart from the EU, a favourite will be NZ Lamb... again.

Chicken, must be UK sourced.

We have the best Poultry standards in the world, husbandry, less antibiotics etc

There was a recent food programme on TV that destroyed the chlorinated chicken treatment that seems prevalent in the US.

Basic testing may show less bugs, but more in depth testing showed the bugs hide, and is not a good way to treat chicken for human consumption.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Why not grow your own or source fresh locally?

In all our years I have never ever known the Mrs to use tinned tomatoes, Italian or otherwise - and her family are from there. As for NZ lamb, it might be cheap and plentiful, but here in Wales we have a less travelled and far superior four legged product. Wink

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it true that Welsh Sheep & Lambs have one side of their body's legs shorter than the other, depending on which way they walk round the Hills ?  Wink

Of course we do buy F&V locally, and our gardener grows some, but tinned tomatoes are so convenient, and available all year round, winter Chilli's etc.

We keep our grasslands for our animals.

And NO, we do not eat our animals !

But we do purchase most meat from our local National award winning Butcher. 

https://www.mettricksbutchers.com/