cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tin foil hats on - Google read all your emails

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Tin foil hats on - Google read all your emails

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2340003/google-admits-its-reading-your-emails-because-adver...
That is not a new bit, and that text was present in November. The new addition says that this reach is extending further.
"Our automated systems analyse your content (including emails) to provide you personally relevant product features, such as customised search results, tailored advertising, and spam and malware detection," it added. "This analysis occurs as the content is sent, received, and when it is stored."
I wonder if I should refuse to send any email to gmail addresses  Roll eyes Roll eyes
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Tin foil hats on - Google read all your emails

I like a good cospiracy but lets face it to manually read a nations emails you'd need another nation of people with a lot of time to manually process them.
Google do their key word scans so they can deliver adverts. As much as I'd like to jump on the bandwagon and see the bad to this I can't really see one.
Now if Google were sending everything to the NSA, CIA, MI5, MI6, KGB and any other security service that sneezed then yeah I'd be miffed (well they probably are anyway but at least i don't know lol).
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Well I have had my domain mapped to Google mail for a couple of years now, not seen any adverts in Thunderbird  Grin
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

well a lot of people have inadvertently found out that the contents of there Gmail account is cached when they use the integrated search features and becomes publicly available.......
the fact they actively tell people there doing it though means you have no one to blame but yourself if you use there "free service" and get caught out somehow.....

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
DaveyH
Pro

Let's face 'journalists' only use the word reading for one reason. To spread FUD.
Scanning for keywords is not reading your emails, and every email provider does it for various reasons.
Its not like Google have ever made a secret of it either, if you don't like their business model then don't use their services.
Community Veteran

Quote from: nanotm
well a lot of people have inadvertently found out that the contents of there Gmail account is cached when they use the integrated search features and becomes publicly available.......

Evidence?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I Wish they would read all the e-mail that I get as most of it is junk any relevant stuff contains no personal information that  would bother me if it was to  be seen by other people  Wink
WTF
Grafter

True.  If they read my mails they must think I have a drug problem and very small man parts ..
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 4

I deliberate trade the content of the spam I receive in exchange for a decent email system Cheesy
Do people still actually use email? Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

*/coat probably not using the Plusnet system because of all the problems  Lips are sealed Lips are sealed