cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Time

Does time go faster the older you get or is time actually getting faster? No doubt some of you know about the Schuman Resonance. Apparently the frequency of earth in the 50's was 7.8hertz now it is something like 12hertz?

Also I found this comment interesting  

its an anomally to say that we can get more done in the time available now...its the opposite...time is going so quickly we cant get ENOUGH done....heres the example........when i was 16 and started work... in my lunch HOUR break the hour was soooo long.... i could come out of work, wait and catch a bus and travel home 3 miles, have my lunch , Cut my hair from long to short (yes, i did that once) , have a cigarette, queue for the bus again and travel back into town, pop in the ice cream shop and have an ice cream with raspberry sauce on it (!) , and still be back at work within the hour !!!!! Point proved....that was in the late 1960's ... try doing that now !!!! There you go....experiment proved.... time has speeded up........

27 REPLIES
Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Time

Psychologists have done experiments proving that the perception of time alters as one gets older.  If you are over 40 you probably don't need an experiment to prove this.

Fixes: 47

A related item on the BBC last night

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08kgv7f/gravity-and-me-the-force-that-shapes-our-lives?suggid=...

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

As with age, time is like a downhill slope in that he further you go the faster it gets. These days I seem to go from one annual event to another in a blink of an eye. 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Back in my early twenties I was losing entire days without much thought. Then it turned to weeks in my mid twenties. I hit thirty and months started rolling by and now I have a kid that is two - it was only a couple of days ago she called me upstairs where i found her holding a positive pregnancy test Shocked

As for the bus in the lunch hour thing, there was less congestion on the roads back then. These days you can lose 7 minutes at traffic lights alone.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 125

Steve wrote:

Does time go faster the older you get

I was saying that to friend when I was in my teens.

There certainly doesn't seem like enough hours in the day now yet when I was a kid the days dragged on.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I remember when Time made computers, and they were always slow... Grin

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Time has remained constant, for centuries... governed by the Moon phases,and the rotation of the earth around the sun... It is what we are actually doing within that time bracket, that makes it appear to go faster or slower..

e.g.  waiting to get served in a bar.... time drags...

waiting to see the doc.... time drags

waiting for a bus.... time drags

but when you look back on your last year (s)  and remember events.(birthdays, holidays, christmas, easter, special events )...all those "bits of time you spent waiting for the doc/bus/pint are eliminated... and the "events" seem to be very close together in the memory, so making you think that time has gone faster.

Fixes: 125

@shutter

Not so sure I agree totally on that.

As a child waiting for an event like Christmas or my birthday to come round seemed to take ages. But now they seem to arrive far quickerCheesy

Edited for spelling

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

@Mav that`s because your life is so busy now, and much more eventful...

when you were a kid.. it was get up, have brekky, go to skool, come home eat tea... play outside,  go to bed... get up. have brekky , go to skool, come home eat tea, play outside  go to bed... etc...  

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Hate to give you the bad news guys but time as we know it doesn’t really exist and is only a concept used to serve as a matter of convenience for mankind, and even then it’s all totally meaningless in the wider universe. A look up at a clear night sky will put it into perspective.

Community Veteran

Mook wrote:

A look up at a clear night sky will put it into perspective.

@Mook  And what do you suggest the best time would be to do that  ?  Huh

Fixes: 47

When the sky is dark and clear.....around what used to be known as night time Wink

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNq_DTmVCWs

Chill! Cool

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

shutter wrote:

Mook wrote:

A look up at a clear night sky will put it into perspective.

@Mook  And what do you suggest the best time would be to do that  ?  Huh

Whenever is best for you and you have a clear view, the best opportunity being when there is no sunlight. Tongue