cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time to test your Smoke Alarm. You do have one don't you ?

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Time to test your Smoke Alarm. You do have one don't you ?

Nearly Christmas time, lots of Christmas lights everywhere, possible flammable decorations... Wrapping paper.
Relatives coming to stay, and despite you having a smoke free home, they will try a crafty fag in their room, or other out of the way area.
Food cooking on the Stove, you sit down to eat, forget something is not turned off..
Etc, etc.
Time to push that button, and test the battery is ok, or even replace the battery.
(As heard recently, when the smoke alarm goes off, I know the food is cooked !!)

Personally, I use Lithium  9V PP3 type batteries, lasting 3 years at last count, so even more reason to test them.

And not to be forgotten, a Carbon Monoxide detector / alarm too.
There are schools of thought about vacuuming the dust out of Alarms, and also replacing as detector ionisation decreases over time.
I'll leave that to Google.

I keep fire extinguishers by the external doors. (the FireX type with gauges)

We also have an escape plan, and hammers and thick ropes in each bedroom.
Get Out, Stay Out, Phone 999.
Never had to use any, but having attended a few Domestic & Commercial Fire demonstrations as a H&S Officer and also D&C fires as part of a News Crew in the past, I don't take chances.
And of course, it's usually the Smoke that kills you.
44 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Time to test your Smoke Alarm. You do have one don't you ?

Yes and both tested...ok.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Tested every monday morning...  Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Smoke alarm at the top of the stairs, fire extinguisher in the bedroom (right by the top of the stairs) and another at the bottom of the stairs..
Will test the alarm tomorrow!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I have 4 Smoke Alarms all working Ok, plus Carbon Monoxide detector in the kitchen plus a Fire Blanket in the kitchen, plus I have 2 Fire Extinguishers.
RichAllen
Grafter

Tested by Dad every weekend, because being only 5'5" I can't reach, and my Parents don't like me climbing on chairs etc.
Community Veteran

Currently playing with remotely monitored smoke/Carbon Monoxide detectors combined with Power Admin Server Monitor software to catch the SNMP Traps.
We've just taken on a new holiday home and need to monitor temperature, smoke etc from the comfort of my study or on my Android tablet. Tying in SMS messaging service to send alerts to my mobile phone.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
nanotm
Pro

tested every time we try to make toast ..........
every few months we buy a new toaster and hope the outcome will be different which I think means the other half is rather insane, because the day after she buys it I have to take it back to the shop because it sets off the smoke alarms .....
seriously though there mains failover alarms, and we have smoke, heat sensor and CO alarms fitted in the kitchen just above the cooker (god knows why some dimwit architect put them there the heat sensor goes off every time the oven door is opened above a cooking temp of 220) again in the downstairs hall and then smoke/heat on each of the landings, there all alarm linked so if one gets tripped the whole house screeches ...... and the batteries get changed every 12 months regardless (there fitted with some sort of bespoke rechargeable unit) by the landlord
I have since moving to this house relegated the 5 alarms I have used at various other properties to the shed one of which I still use just in case something ever happens to it (like a stray fag butt)
i'll never understand people who don't have alarms and who don't test them so many people die every year from fire or smoke in homes Sad
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
myredhotcar
Grafter

Nah. I sleep in the panic room.
Thunderclap
Grafter

Cool My toaster tests the smerk alarm every other day. But seriously though, kodus for prompting the forum.
We change batteries every year and write the date ON the batteries.
Fixes: 47

A few years ago the local fire service came round installing smoke alarms for anyone who would let them in.
I was out but my daughter let them in and they fitted one at the top of the stairs.
They also commented on the fire risk afforded by a number of trailing sockets in the house.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
beeceegee
Rising Star

Our smoke / carbon monoxide detector shrieks "smoke smoke smoke" or "gas, gas, gas" if detected. It also has an annoying habit of yelling "battery low, battery low" in the early hours of the morning
Fixes: 104

we've got linked mains powered alarms, when one goes they all go. pretty good.
Will Moderate For Thanks
itsme
Grafter

Just tested mine by toasting fruited muffins for afternoon tea.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

We have mains powered alarmed and battery backup if the mains go down for whatever reason.
Just tested and beeping.  One at top and bottom of stairs.
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. BT Infinity Customer using a BT Smart Hub. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs Up