Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time to plant some veggies

St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

Time to plant some veggies

Well im going to put my new potatoe seeds out today in pots for summer Smiley i was going to plant them last week but was put off by the cold weather.

Also planning to grow many other things this year..... might even put my pea pods in they did really well last year Smiley

anyone growing veg ? 

20 REPLIES
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: Time to plant some veggies

Mate next door does loads 👍
Am fond of his Tom's and chili's he also got his cucumbers on in his Windows growing like triffids 😣
Said to early for outside at mo
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Never had much luck growing veg other than broadbeans, even struggled with rhubarb.

So tend to grow a lot of herbs, always grow sweet peas, never any problems with those.

Planted a fig tree against the wall many years ago and that's done really well.

Perhaps the secret is looking after what you are growing and there is no need to look after the stuff I grow.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

It's getting near time that's for sure. Thumbs Up

Spent last weekend cleaning the winter moss off the greenhouse glass and tidied up inside.  

Grown some toms and peppers from seed and put them in new pots only this morning as it happens and out into that greenhouse. Plan to buy some seed potatoes next week although those we'll grow in those sack type bags - much easier. Peas the same as last year will be grown over the garden archway. Winter garlic just about ready, although the Mrs is bound to plant more. 

We've only a small garden - hardly more than four square metres but it's surprising what you can grow in pots, bags and raised beds. Those (tumbling) toms for example will go into a couple of hanging baskets although whether they will turn out like these below only time and some summer sun will tell!

1012214.jpg

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.
St3
Aspiring Champion

Just about to pop in garden and its PEA ing down ........ have too see if it drys up... no fun digging around wet soil 

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

The Mrs is in charge of the garlic growing - she puts down both winter and spring variety in separate raised beds. Brought in the rest of last seasons summer crop from the shed this morning and although very tasty, they were smaller than previous years.

Well worth growing, and nice to see them braided into plaits (the Mrs again) and hung up to dry. Peppers or chillies should I say will be interesting this year - going to try growing a Scotch Bonnet variety just for the hell and the heat of it. Tongue 

Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

I grow mine in deep tubs, those big things that the builders use for rubble. Trying something new this year though and that's fruit trees, 2 apple and 1 pear planted in the same type of tub. I have never tried this before but the trees were only £4 each so thought I'd give 'em a go.  Cheesy

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
St3
Aspiring Champion

@Pete11 I use those same tubs myself... i made small holes in the bottom to allow water to escape Wink

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@Pete11

Does that actually work?

Our potato growing sacks have small holes in them for drainage.

Interesting idea though. Thumbs Up

Community Veteran
Fixes: 19

@gleneagles wrote:

, always grow sweet peas, never any problems with those.

Hint.... for improved crops.... of  .... Sweet Pea  and Runner Beans.

Make two places, prepare the ground, plenty of u no wot in it.. dig it in, churn it up, make it nice and crumbly...

Put supports in for the climbers....   plant Runner Beans in one  ( Plot A ).... and Sweet Peas in the other.. ( Plot B ).  next year.... reverse them... the year after return to original,  i.e. alternate each year.

Stop the growth when the plants reach the top of the support by cutting the top end off..

What this does, is that each depends on the other for nutrients they give back to the ground... ( can`t remember what they were though... but each produces something the other needs for good cropping ).

jab1
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

@shutter That explains why my grandads crops of those - and other things - used to be so good. Like you, I don't understand the mechanics of the 'crop-rotation', but he did, being of 'farming stock'.

John
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

We have four raised beds only three of which are used at any one time. Crops are rotated with one bed left fallow for that year.

Seems to work. Wink

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

@shutter

I think the beans might put nitrogen back into the soil, seem to recall reading it somewhere.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 19

@gleneagles  Yes, indeed.... that is one of the trace elements that I remember now... sweet peas give back the other one for the beans to take advantage of..... ! !.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Not something I've seen in the UK but where we used to live, following on from sunflowers the farmers would plant the entire field with a crop of peas and they'd be left unharvested. All clever stuff eh?