cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time to lower the minimum we can withdraw at the ATM as well?

Fixes: 125

Time to lower the minimum we can withdraw at the ATM as well?

The Bank of England has said it will urge banks to increase the availability of £5 notes in their cash machines.
It will also ask shops to give out more fivers in change to meet demand from consumers for the note.
While all UK cash machines must have the capacity to hold all denominations of notes, demand and efficiency means most give £10 and £20 notes only.
In the past two years the value of £5 notes in supply has increased from about £1bn to £1.3bn.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8398155.stm
Aside: When I first recieved statements that showed ATM withdrawal £10, etc. I used to think that ATM stood for At The Machine  Cheesy Embarrassed

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

46 REPLIES
jmd
Grafter

Re: Time to lower the minimum we can withdraw at the ATM as well?

Does it not mean that then? Shocked
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Automated Teller Machine  Cool

Quote from: jmdlp
Does it not mean that then? Shocked

I read it to mean that you will get £5s in the withdrawal but not that the minimum will be £5.
Thinking about it I don't remember getting any £5s for a number of years. But I do remember my first ATM card (with Midland). If I remember correctly, it allowed you 10 withdrawals of £1 (or maybe £10) each time. A mark was left on the card after each withdrawal. This was circa 1979/80.
@oldjim
I know that now but it was a long time ago Wink

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran

@Mav I remember having those but I think it was earlier than that. I'd say early 70's, before 1975 maybe.
Community Veteran

At present the options available when using an ATM are all in units of 10.  I can't imagine banks would want to start re-programming to allow for the 5's as well.

@HPsauce Possibly available then but I know I never had one till I left school and got my first job which was in 1978. I thought I had the card when I started working for Midland which was in 1980.
Do you rmember the amount? Was it £1 or £10?

Community Veteran

easy solution, go into the bank - and get cash at the till's - using cheque or debit card. They issue brand new fivers - nice and crisp unlike some of the older fivers in circulation.
if your lucky - you might get to speak to a pleasant human being too.......... 
Community Veteran

@Mav I'm pretty sure the Midland card wasn't £1, so probably £10 (could have been £5).
If I recall correctly it was the first card that didn't get "eaten" by the machine - rival banks systems involved posting it back to you before you could reuse it.
Definitely only 10 uses though and the punched dots showed you how many "goes" you had left.

I agree must've been £10. I think being £5 would have stuck in my memory.
I seem to remember some wizz-kids back then knew how to punch in a key-combo for the mahine to give up some cash without a card - or is that an urban myth?

Community Veteran

Hmmm.  Cool
I was working in computers and knew a lot of whizz-kids and found out quite a bit about various "tricks" with all sorts of electronic systems, but I've never heard of that specific one.
Community Veteran

Quote from: mal0z
easy solution, go into the bank - and get cash at the till's - using cheque or debit card.

Won't be able to use a cheque in the future - there is a move to ban them.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I have in my toot box an old NW punch card £10 cash that as said use, machine keeps, then posted back to you, thought I had the image on here but cant find it
Community Veteran

I think they are saying cheques disappear about 2018 - so a need to replace with something that people who can't or don't want to use debit card.s, the internet etc.
some people want to get rid of cash as well !
but given the appaling mess the bankers have gor us all into this last year or so - who do we trust
KEEP the POST OFFICE i say. keep Post Offices too.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and what about Travel cheques?  Cards can be a nightmare overseas, Credit or Debit