Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time to cast your clouts

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

Time to cast your clouts

Well, it seems like spring has really sprung dahn sarf !..

We had daffodils out in late january,  crocus out in mid feb, and snowdrops followed them... still got the daffs out, had magnolia trees in bloom in early march... still blooming now,... conker trees have had sticky buds on for a couple of weeks too... seen many wild flowers on the country roadside verges, and the hedgerows are a lovely shade of fresh green growth.... even got apple blossom on the next door neighbours tree !.

and today... saw the first bluebells in a wood.... also....   MAY  ( no,.... not Theresa....  !  Shocked )  was out in some hedges too...

So... get casting those clouts.... Cheesy

7 REPLIES 7
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: Time to cast your clouts

Well the hawthorns are well into flower around here in the wooly west, just hope last nights frost has not damaged them.Nice to see everything waming up that's for sure. 

Think I read somewhere that a clout was a sort of undershirt country folk would wear for several months over the winter and early spring withour ever taking it off. Must have been stinking to high heaven.

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

I always thought a clout was what you got from a parent or school teacher when you gave them back chat years ago.

I guess anyone clouting someone these days would end up in court.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

"clout" in this context could mean, an item of clothing worn during the winter to keep warm... as suggested... and it could also be a "corruption" of the word "Cloth" or "clothes"...

The saying goes...

Ne`er cast your clouts , `til May be out... 

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

@Minivanman wrote:

Well the hawthorns are well into flower around here in the wooly west, just hope last nights frost has not damaged them.Nice to see everything waming up that's for sure. 

Think I read somewhere that a clout was a sort of undershirt country folk would wear for several months over the winter and early spring withour ever taking it off. Must have been stinking to high heaven.

See definition As to odour, I suppose, if every one is stinking, no one notices. 

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I thought the original intent was cloche as in a cover for your outdoor plants.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@gleneagles 

From BBC News yesterday.

A ban on smacking children is a step closer after the Welsh Government published a bill removing "reasonable punishment" as a defence.

Not sure how I fell about this m'self as there is a difference between beating a child and giving them a smack. Mine rarely were,but they always knew I would and where that line not to be crossed was

Nanny state? maybe  

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@shutter wrote:

We had daffodils out in late january,  crocus out in mid feb, and snowdrops followed them

It's odd, same around here, Snowdrops have kept their place/time and have been leapfrogged by the Daffs and Crocuses.

And yes I've just had to start cutting the grass.