cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time to Rid Ourselves from these Parasites

thisoldman
Grafter

Time to Rid Ourselves from these Parasites

Britain is being told to pay millions more for Eurocrats to retire at 60!
The EU has demanded that member states raise the retirement age to 70, yet these fat slimy cats in Brussels can retire at 60 with an average pension of £77,194.
As a glaswegian    might say "thats no [Censored] on pal:
The EU quotas have ruined our fishing industry, ruined our immigration policies......ruined..............need i go on?
Just what the [Censored]  do we gain by being members of that "alice in wonderland club"
So I say   Lets get the hell out of the EC as soon as possible. Its just a club for eu bureaucratic [Censored].
Dick:red Avoidance of swear filter edited as per Forum Rules
4 REPLIES
Denzil
Grafter

Re: Time to Rid Ourselves from these Parasites

I'm not going to say the institution is perfect, by any means, but this country benefits enormously from its membership.
I work for a company that makes equipment for IVF clinics all over the world. The EU has common rules for medical devices, so we only have to conform to one set of regulations and we can sell anywhere in the EU. A lot of other countries accept EU certification for their own medical device registration as well. The fact that there are common rules and common standards makes it much easier for us, and for thousands of other companies, to do business in Europe. If we pulled out of the EU it would damage our business.
EU quota have helped to preserve what is left of our fishing industry, because without them all the fish would be gone.
The EU has also given us back a fair amount of money in grants to support all sorts of worthy projects. I live in Cornwall, which was one of the poorest areas in the country, and even compared with many other poorer parts of Europe. EU Objective 1 grant money has made a big difference to a lot of people here. If we weren't in the EU, do you think UK governments would have given the same support? I doubt it.
Community Veteran

Hi Denzil
I'm not dead against the EU per se, but I think you'll find that we are net contributers to the EU (i.e. we pay in much more than we get out in grants).  Until recently, countries such as Ireland were net gainers (i.e. they got out more in grants than they paid in) that position may have changed with the addition of the Eastern European countries, which generally have much lower living conditions and standards of infrastructure than the rest of the EU.
As to the OP point on retirement.  I'm not sure where the information came from, but if true then of course it's unfair.  Having said that, the media will tell you that civil servants and local government employees can retire at 60, and although technically that may be possible, of course the vast majority don't (exactly the same as in the private sector) I believe that the average retirement age in the public and private sectors is almost exactly the same.
John
Community Veteran

Yes we are net contributors to the EU and one of the biggest I think.  Unless things have changed both Spain and Portugal were net recipients when they joined the EU over 10 years ago and I think they still are. Certainly less than 2 years ago Spain was arguing that their repayments should continue.
There are some good things about the EU, I think, but a lot of their credibility is destroyed when they start telling member nations to raise their retirement age whilst going in a different direction themselves.
And how about their accounts which have still not been signed off?  Bet there's a few skeletons there Wink
Community Veteran

I agree that the EU needs very major reform, to make it more democratic, accountable, but I too agree with Denzil that there have been very many good things come out of our membership, as he says the standardisation - easier trading, common human rights ( only that needs reform too ).
Our MEP's to bto be far far more visible back here in UK, i've never seen a MEP clinic - like the MP, and MSP ones etc., these people need to be far more accountable.
Sor major reform - yes - get of of EU definately not - we would just end up far worse of and the cost of disentangling ourself. ?