Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time for a new office chair?

Luzern
All Star
Fixes: 3

Time for a new office chair?

Mine has three levers and two don't seem to move anymore. The bonded leather is disintegrating, and seat padding is not what it used to be. it's painful to my posterior. All told.it seems time to buy a new one.

Where does on go these days to get one that is comfy and will last long enough to see me (82) out? Would you try Staples Office Outlet or PC World or are there others that may give better prices/ quality? Online purchases don't seem sensible for the purchase.

Your thought, guys?

And what of three levers, are they still required  and desirable, or is something better about? Max spend £150.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
17 REPLIES
RJM
Rising Star

Re: Time for a new office chair?

I purchased this one from Ikea a year ago - very pleased with it and not expensive:

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/chairs-stools-benches/office-chairs/millberget-swivel-chair-boms...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 37

@Luzern - I bought one of these a while back, and for me it was money well spent and if I am right in thinking @shutter bought one too.

Oops! So I did. Added now.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 19

@Luzern     @Mook forgot to put the linky in.... so here is my post about the chair.....  Excellent quality.... and I am really pleased with it.... best chair I ever bought.... and can`t rate it better than 10 stars ! ! ...

Just under £90.00 and super fast delivery      all the way from Germany ..

https://community.plus.net/t5/General-Chat/German-Engineering-for-your-Bum/m-p/1497426#M237058

Mook later asked my if I had delivery...... and here is the reply to that...... NOTE the info about putting it together....

https://community.plus.net/t5/General-Chat/German-Engineering-for-your-Bum/m-p/1500245#M237522

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Bought mine from "Staples" not called that any more, at least my local branch isn't. Warwickshire model, and very good it is too, only one adjustment handle, and a tilt tension knob under the seat. A bit exhausting to assemble, only needs one allen key (supplied) but I used a hex bit screwdriver, but worth the effort.

I find it very comfortable.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Luzern
All Star

@shutter@Mook

I shall consider your offers, but being a little* guy, 5'6" and 62 kgs, high back chairs can seem a bit 'encompassing'.

*choose your alternative word: titch, weed, midget etc etc.Grin

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
198kHz
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 13

Took my daughter to IKEA about three years ago to look at office chairs, and we were impressed with the quality and the prices.

She's very happy with her choice. I don't recall the name of it.

Remember you are unique - just like everyone else
Community Veteran
Fixes: 19

@Luzern The chair Mook and I have, has a lower "high back" than previous one from The Range... and with the swivel arms... you would not feel "encompassed" as you can move them out of the way, and only use them when necessary. I would think that you would find that the high point of the backrest would be comfortable to rest your head agains...  as it comes to about 4 inches above my shoulder line. ( I am 5` 10" ) you coul also use a cushion on the seat, if you felt that the back was too high.

Luzern
All Star

Thanks for thoughts @shutter. The Range is an interesting place, no that i'd have thought of them for something like office chairs.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

The seat on these "office" chairs always seem to crumble. I took an old pair of jeans and cut out a shape to match the top of mine and stuck it on. Looks neat enough and now years later it's still wearing well.

Community Veteran

I could introduce you to a supplier I used to provide office chairs on a trading I built a few years back.  The client insisted on these chairs, designed by Ferrari. A snip at a mere £6000 per chair.  I bought 60 of them!

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Jonpe
Champion
Fixes: 7

So if you can't afford the whole car, you can just buy the seats?

Do you get bumper stickers saying, "My chair is a Ferrari"?

Community Veteran

Surely there's a decimal point missing?

Luzern
All Star

Looking is taking a back seat ( have I got the words in the correct order?), as visits, two birthdays (one significant) and funeral next week, and that's just to start.

BTW how does one know, ordering online, that the seat will be suitable? They're not like clothes you can return to M&S.

idonno
Rising Star

I always spend a good number of minutes checking each chair out. Like you say, how on earth can you know if it's suitable buying online. Some fail very quickly - uncomfortable, too small, too high. I bought mine from when they were known as Staples. They had a good selection to try and of course, you get to take it home, there and then.