cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time for a decent wireless broadband service

Galaxy
Grafter

Time for a decent wireless broadband service

OK so here I am once again with no phone or broadband service because my phone line has been cut through, this also happened about a year ago when Anglia Water installed a water meter across the road, took BT about 5 days to fix.
BT have managed to cut this one themselves this time when repairing someone elses line which had also been damaged, except now they can't seem to find exactly where the damage is....
Bring on the day when we can get fairly decent wireless broadband, with a decent data allowance to do away with all these crappy copper wires which every moron seems to be able to disturb!
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Time for a decent wireless broadband service

Well you can get wireless - 3G dongles. Ok the bandwidth is a bit limited but if you're just a average surfer, emailer, etc you'll be fine. Heavy p2p downloads and skype usage will need higher amounts of bandwidth. 3 do up to 15GB on contract for £15 per month (24 month contract).
You'll hear plenty of people slate 3G dongles as being bad but out of the tons of them sold you'll never hear from all the rest of the majority who are actually very happy with them like me.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
oldgeezer
Grafter

Think yourself lucky !
Years ago we lived on a street with a large plot containing lock-up garages at one end. Eventually this was sold and a developer built 7 houses on it. The BT cable to our local pole came down the street and was buried precisely 3 inches deep in the blacktop on the pavement. Each house had 3 mains services connected to it which were connected one at a time. 7 houses times 3 services equates to 21 trenches across the pavement.
We lost our telephone service (before the days of broadband) 11 times over about 6 months. Each time it happened BT put two little plastic manhole type boxes in the pavement with a new bit of cable in between. When the construction was finished they dug up all the intermediate boxes and ran a cable in between but they still only buried it about 3 inches.
We moved before they built any more houses.  Smiley Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

You'll hear plenty of people slate 3G dongles as being bad but out of the tons of them sold you'll never hear from all the rest of the majority who are actually very happy with them like me.

I will heartily recommend 3's mobile broadband service,and add that if you go for a contract you can get a MiFi, which is a WiFi router so you can connect up to 4 ( I think its 4) wireless devices at once. just check your reception first, if you can get it (something like 90% of UK can) the service is great. I constantly got speeds of 2.5Mb and played World of warcraft nightly without any problems. the only time I went over my 15Gb was when my son ( bless his cotton socks Angry ) downloaded some films.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I get a very good signal with mine and its usually about 3 - 3.5Mb so I'm happy with it. I'd say its the best gadget I've purchased in a while to be honest as its very handy. Used it in Bath too and despite a lot of hills I still got a good reception there with a bit of moving it around on a usb wire.
I didn't know it was any good for gaming though.. thats very interesting as I'd heard that the latency made it a bit slow but i'll give that a go next time i use it  Smiley
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Wouldn't say it was great for gaming...but was always in the green. less than 250Ms.Certainly playable.  Smiley