cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time and date signal

Community Veteran

Time and date signal

Anyone know anything about the time and date signal recently?
I was just eating my dinner and looked at the (radio controlled) clock in my kitchen. As I sometimes do I then looked at my watch (I don't know if this is for a second opinion but I know I am not the only person that does it).
I noticed that there was a couple of minutes difference in the times. This confused me as I have a Casio Wave Ceptor radio controlled watch and both the clock and the watch are always within one second of eachother. I decided to reset both to get the signal but could not, even at a window. I live near the east coast of NI and have never had a problem receiving the time signal. Anyone know anything about this or had similar problems?
8 REPLIES
prichardson
Grafter

Re: Time and date signal

Have a real of the MSF outages pages
Guess what Cheesy We are currently in the 48 hour annual shutdown period for the signal
Community Veteran

Ah, That explains it. Thanks Smiley
Community Veteran

I have a Casio Wave Ceptor radio controlled watch and think they are fantastic it used to get up my nose having to change the date and time on my watch. If they are analogue  display you have to do it at the right time or it starts changing at midday. Whats next with watches?
I started by get a chronometer then came Bulovor actratron which had the tuning fork and was very good time keeper. Then came LED then LCD and now the Wave Ceptor how much better can we get in time keeping?
The Wave Ceptor is never out as it checks twice a day so can only be a second out at most 
pcoventry
Grafter

Ah.. Memorys..
I used to drive up and down the M1 and miss the Rugby Radio mast pattern that used to be just past junction 18. Mind you I was there when they blew them down. It's a shame such fine history going to waste.
Now i believe it's all up in Cumbria. Googling it bring up some really good history on the service.
Community Veteran

Yes, since March 2007 it's been at Anthorn in Cumbria.
Community Veteran

I am just happy that it is working again. I love my Casio Wave Ceptor. Mine is the solar powered one also. I love when people ask "Does anyone have the right time?" LoL.
geewizz
Grafter

If these timepieces can become as far out of synch within a couple of days, wouldn't you be better off with quartz timekeepers that keep much better time on their own?
I used to be obsessive about getting to places "on time". Now I work around the daylight hours and save myself the stress of checking watches and clocks. Life is much more enjoyable when you're released from the rules of the abstract measurement of time.
Community Veteran

I was expecting someone to ask that. Truth is that they were not out of sync. It was the analogue hands on the Casio Wave Ceptor that were out of sync with the digital time on the watch (Only realized this afterwards). This happens over a period of time and is easily corrected back to the digital time also displayed on the screen (And the truly accurate time).
These timepieces do use quartz and therefore are as accurate as any in the absence of the time signal i.e. +-15 seconds per month.
I would love to live without thinking about time but unless I lived by myself in the mountains I don't see how this is possible. When my job and everything and everyone else around me operates by the clock then I have no option but to do the same  Cry