Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time To Change The Goal Posts

VileReynard
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 18

Re: Time To Change The Goal Posts

Sounded like you meant the parents had "inferior" genetics.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

So, we do need to move the goal posts. Back to their original position.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
@gleneagles, you make some good points. When I grew up many families had to work hard to put a meal on the table every day for the family. These days it's down to expensive takeaways and things like Sky TV, annual holidays, latest designer clothes etc are seen as essentials.

far from the truth. you really take too much from the media as gospel.
the fact is there is many people living in the uk who do struggle to put food on the table, they have to choose between rent, electric and food.  The story you tell which only supposedly existed decades ago.
There is a common theme amongst the so called wealth creators, they have a belief poverty doesnt exist in this country and only in third world countries, they commonly only donate overseas and push for the controversial aid budget to be left intact.  The uk is giving aid to countries capable enough to have nuclear weapons, crazy policy.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

Quote from: artmo
@gleneagles, you make some good points. When I grew up many families had to work hard to put a meal on the table every day for the family. These days it's down to expensive takeaways and things like Sky TV, annual holidays, latest designer clothes etc are seen as essentials.

Well I have had NO income for past 8 years. I get NO money from the state, as SHMBO makes £10 over the limit per month. Only benefit we get is council tax benefit and that doesn't qualify you for anything else.
Can't remember the last time we had a takeaway, went to the pub for a drink etc.
No SKY wont have it in the house. Freeview is fine.
Last holiday was over 5 years ago, and that was in our caravan in Yorkshire, now sold the caravan not Yorkshire 😉
Designer clothes to me are F&F George etc 🙂
Shoes/boots I but from ebay as they are £££'s cheaper than the ones in the shops.
We own our own house or would be in deeper stumf. I paid it off with my redundancy.
Phone, last (only top up) was when I bought the phone in 2006, I do have a new sim for data on my dongle (again 10+ years old).
We keep getting bombarded in the shops to put food into the "Food for poor families" bins. Well sod them I say we have enough problems putting food on our own table. We don't qualify for the freebies as we don't have kids/get benefits.
VileReynard
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 18

If there are two of you, why should you be able to claim a council tax discount?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Quote from: gleneagles
@7up,
I am aware that life is difficult if you have insufficient money coming in but I mention the above as my past was so poor I was reluctant to spend money when my income increased so sure I could now afford sky, buy new clothes and do a lot of other things but always at the back of my mind is the thought I never want to ever find myself in the same financial position I was in for most of my earlier years, by earlier years I mean my late 40's.
Smiley

I actually do now have a bit of an income.. not much but a bit but like you i now find it hard knowing what to do - should i spend it on things i need or be a scrooge?
I bought a computer for £300 back in February from ebay. I felt guilty for a month. Poor people shouldn't feel guilty for treating themselves... the system is borked.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

If Greece coninues the way they're going they might end up with such high unemployment that 60% of the median wage will be less than unemployment benefit (if it isn't already), in this case Greece will have abolished poverty by their financial management, why doesn't the UK try going broke to solve poverty?  Oh, I remember now, that's what Labour were heading towards!  Embarrassed
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

Quote from: vilefoxdemonofdoom
If there are two of you, why should you be able to claim a council tax discount?

Because we have a low income, we get a large % discount off the CT. Basically if we had to pay the full amount we would have nowt to eat.