cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time To Change The Goal Posts

Steve
Pro

Time To Change The Goal Posts

Not looked into this in depth personally yet but as usual from that pleb that is Ian Dunkin Smith ( yes I said  pleb ) time to fudge child poverty statistics ?
Work and Pensions Secretary Iain Dunkin Smith has announced a new way of measuring child poverty.
Mr Dunkin Smith said the new system would focus on the "root causes" of poverty and make a "meaningful change to children's life chances".
It will include factors such as educational achievement and living in workless households as well as income.
It follows a report claiming child poverty levels were "unacceptably high" across the UK.
The four UK children's commissioners, for England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, urged the government to halt its programme of benefit cuts.
The DWP said it would scrap the measure of child poverty and targets introduced by Labour in 2010.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-33346989
37 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Time To Change The Goal Posts

Maybe you should look into it in depth then. I listened to the statement in Parliament by Ian Duncan Smith and he is not fudging the figures. More positive actions to reform the welfare system.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

The current definition of poverty based on an arbitrary percentage (60%) of median UK income is pretty meaningless IMO, about time those old goalposts were put on the bonfire and some better ones put up.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

So will this be the same sort of dealing with poverty by lowering the level at which poverty is declared like they did a couple years back where they took thousands out of poverty simply by lowering the level at which income is low enough to be declared as poverty? Now THAT was moving the goalposts to massively fudge the figures, meanwhile those who were still in poverty (but above the new line) were made worse off because of it... Roll eyes
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

The current measure peversly has the effect of lifting more out of poverty when the economy is in recessions and putting more into poverty when the economy is growing and wages are rising. Something wrong there  Sad
It's a bad measure and definitely needs revising  Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I'd say poverty is if you cannot afford more than 1500 calories of food per day or cannot afford to wear basic clothes.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

*Tsk *Tsk These poor deprived people need to get a grip on their finances and manage money better!
Iain Duncan Smith's expenses credit card is suspended after he runs up £1,000 debt to taxpayer

Iain Duncan Smith’s official parliamentary credit card was suspended after he ran up more than £1,000 in expenses debts, according to records.
The Press Association news agency says the Work and Pensions Secretary is among 19 MPs who have had their credit lines suspended since the start of the year because they owe money to Parliament’s expenses watchdog.
The revelation is likely to embarrass Mr Duncan Smith, who has previously said low-income families should receive their benefits on prepaid cash cards to help control their spending.
“Benefits paid, I always believed, should go to support the wellbeing of their families not to feed their destructive habits,” he told the Conservative party conference last year.
“I am going to start testing prepaid cards onto which we will make benefit payments so that the money they receive is spent on the needs of the family, finally helping I believe to break the cycle of poverty for families on the margins.”
Mr Duncan Smith himself had his card blocked when he owed the taxpayer £1,057.28 – the equivalent of over 14 weeks of adult rate jobseeker’s allowanc

Community Veteran

well yeah one way of getting better looking figures is to reinvent the wheel.
To define everyone in work as not been in poverty is a strange way of doing it as there is millions of working people in the country who are in poverty.
My definition of poverty is simple.  If you cannot comfortably handle essential living costs, especially having to juggle bills then you are in poverty.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: chrcoluk
.  If you cannot comfortably handle essential living costs, especially having to juggle bills then you are in poverty.

That is simply being poor or maybe on low income. Poverty is entirely different.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

I see it as poor you might be in say the botto 30% of earners.  (figure picked out of air), silar to how they define poverty.
Poverty is what it is, if you struggle to get the basics.
Some people think of africa villages as poverty, but poverty needs to be relative to the country and expectations of modern living.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I think we all know that where IDS, benefits reform and poverty are all mentioned together it's bad news for the poor and / or those on benefits.
His name is only known for bad news. Nothing good ever comes from this man millionaire.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Quote from: 7up
Nothing good ever comes from this man millionaire.

Plenty jokes about his baldness though... Grin
Community Veteran

Quote from: chrcoluk
I see it as poor you might be in say the botto 30% of earners.  (figure picked out of air), silar to how they define poverty.
Poverty is what it is, if you struggle to get the basics.
Some people think of africa villages as poverty, but poverty needs to be relative to the country and expectations of modern living.

Ridiculous comment. Why not pick 40% or 50% or even 100% then everyone can be in poverty.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Face the facts: what he is doing may have some merits, but would he have implemented the change if under the new method the number of children defined as being in poverty went up?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

OED definition number 1: Poverty; the state of being extremely poor.
Current official definition: Poverty, the state of being relatively low income.
The official definition takes no account of relative living expenses in different regions so households deemed 'in poverty' in say Leeds and London may well have very different experiences of 'poverty'.
I'd welcome a reasonable and realistic change in the definition, whether that is going to happen when it's being defined by someone who has no experience or grasp of real poverty is another matter.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.