cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time Team

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Time Team

Always liked that programme.... some really interesting things turn up in the most unlikely places....
what amazes me, is that after digging up some poor guys back garden, or ruining a standing crop of corn, and digging up a farmers field,... they find the layout of a "supposedly" "Very Important" find... like an unknown roman villa... all based on the associated finds, which amount to......
a rusty bit of metal, looking like it could have been a knife blade.
an odd coin, with the roman emporer`s head on it.
two or three chunks from a broken china pot
two or three small cubes of tile, used to make mosaic floors
and that`s about the sum total of finds..... for this      "very Important archaelogical site"..
(If it is so BIG and so IMPORTANT  why don`t they find loads of roof tiles,... bricks... slabs etc etc that were part of the building.........?)
they then concoct a very convincing 1st person account of the lives of the inhabitants, and   they then proceed to cover up and return to the original state...

never to be seen again...

WHY ?  if it is so "important"... is it not then "given to the nation"...
or the owner spends a few bob on a building to house the "find"  ( the site ) and the bits and bobs, and opens it to the public, charging them admission and flogging cream teas from his kitchen...  Cheesy
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Time Team

I've never understood time team much either. Similar reasons to you really.. plus i'm just not interested in old boring ways of life pre tech / industrial eras.
Sure.. if they did a dig and accidentally dug up some prehistoric super computer from the Aztecs thats been running for the last 43k years and still doing whatever it does... i'd be seriously interested but frankly, who's interested in a rock tied to a stick to make a basic hammer?  Crazy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Can you imagine....... in 2,000 years time..... a Roman equivalent of Time Team... digging up GCHQ  ! ! ! ....  Cheesy
And what would they make of our roads and rail system?  Grin
Community Veteran

They would do better in my old garden.
Couple of neighbours gardens still had parts of an old monastery's walls in them.
When digging a potato patch I've found a few old coins,  a silver cross, and loads of old broken pottery.
This was many years ago long before metal detectors became common.
If I still lived there I would definitely invest in a good metal detector.
Fixes: 47

When we moved into our current property and started digging in the back garden we found an old wooden framed greenhouse.
The previous residents had dismantled and buried it. Roll eyes
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Did you get it "carbon dated" ?  it could be pre previous occupants, and maybe from the Vikings........
(Well, they did find a Viking longboat....... so why not a Viking Green house  ? ?  )  Cheesy
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat
When we moved into our current property and started digging in the back garden we found an old wooden framed greenhouse.

When my cousin started digging in his he found an old car.
A black (very very rusty) Ford Popular.
Fixes: 47

Quote from: shutter
Did you get it "carbon dated" ?

There was a cheap digital watch in with it so that dates it to Victorian or later Wink
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

My neighbour from several years ago was mowing his lawn one day and disappeared! He had fallen into an old air-raid shelter that nobody knew was there!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: shutter
Can you imagine....... in 2,000 years time..... a Roman equivalent of Time Team... digging up GCHQ  ! ! ! ....  Cheesy
And what would they make of our roads and rail system?   Grin

LOL!
That would certainly be interesting wouldn't it! Now if i were alive when that happened I would be absolutely fascinated!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!