cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time Machine

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Time Machine

So I've built a working time machine which will transport items one day back in time. Can someone tell me the calculation necessary to make sure the item lands in the correct place?
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
17 REPLIES
nanotm
Pro

Re: Time Machine

no but I bet theres an app for that  Wink
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

I've got THREE Time Machines !!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Well, You would have......  Roll eyes
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: AlaricAdair
Can someone tell me the calculation necessary to make sure the item lands in the correct place?

Sure thing:
-24:00:00
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

No. I mean the calculation to work out the physical coordinates of my desk 24 hours ago. Such factors of the rotation of the earth about its axis and around the sun and the motion of the solar system within the galaxy  etc etc...
pwatson
Rising Star

Surely if your time machine worked you just have to wait until you've found the answer and then you can come back to "now".  As you don't know the answer then we must unfortunately conclude that the machine doesn't work...  Sad
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I'm kinda with pwatson on this.
You know the time machine works and so ultimately you already know how to calculate the coordinates - otherwise you wouldn't know the machine works in the first place  Tongue
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Position is relative.
Community Veteran

Unless the time machine is operating outside the Earth's frame of reference, the time machine and items transported will be part of the Earth 'system' and only local co-ordinates will need to be calculated.
Same problem as "Does a Ford Transit carrying birds weigh less if all the birds take off", to which the answer is "No".
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
Thunderclap
Grafter

Cool You mean find the X Y Z Q ?
X Y and Z are obvious as they are a vector relative to your fixed datum - or frame of reference as avatastic says. Your datum could be the center of the sun, a phone box, or a hot tub. Easy, even Pythagoras could work it out... But Q?

From the Ladybird Book of Time Travel

As a time traveller you will know that gravity introduces all kinds of relativistic warps into the space time continum. Think of your datum as a start line drawn across a rubber road. As your car drives forward, the road bends around you and thus, you are not certain of your true distance from the start line, even though the tacho is incrementing normally.Q is a kind of fiddle factor with mass, velocity [gravity] and delta [time] added - vis the quality of the space time travel vector. A Q of 1 is optimal, but after an ato-second, Q becomes a very large number - time travellers are hence recommended to assign Q a value based on their best guess.
Relative to the fixed datum, the resultant space time travel vector is likely to resemble a wobbly spline than a straight line.
Community Veteran

Ignoring Q for the moment, just taking X,Y and Z is not an easy equation you need to take into account
• earths rotation speed at the equator - 2.688000e+6  ff
• Earth’s orbit speed around the Sun - 1.80096000e+8 ff
• The sun orbiting speed around the galaxy at - 1.32283465e+9 ff
nanotm
Pro

perhaps something like this could help you https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/redshift-astronomy/id390436752?mt=8

since its not the position on earth that matters so much as it is the position of earth relative to the rest of the universe at any given time ....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Fixes: 104

you've got your flux capacitor configured incorrectly
Will Moderate For Thanks