cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ticket Refunds

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Ticket Refunds

My friend from Italy, booked with National Express, over the internet, for the journey from Gatwick to Portsmouth, and return.
The journey is 4 hours...... which takes in at least 1 hour wait at Heathrow. and another wait at Victoria Coach station.
The journey by plane from Italy took just less than 2 hours !
He wanted to cancel the return part of the ticket , to travel by train as it is only 1 hour 10 minutes into Gatwick airport...
National Express state that "part tickets" CANNOT be refunded... and this is "LAW".... They are also saying (in a telephone converstation) that this is the same for ALL modes of transport TRAIN/PLANE/SHIP....
I am not convinced .... and wonder if anyone on the forum can clarify the "legal" situation regarding cancellation/refund of the return half of a ticket.
Thank you
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Ticket Refnds

I'm no lawyer - but I doubt it is law, more like a condition of contract ?.
And return fairs can be cheaper than two singles - so maybe not much to refund.
I've little experience of express [sic] coach services - but I have never had a refund on a return portion of a train ticket - but we have on airline tickets.
How much was the ticket - my only experience of Coach was it was very cheap when booked over internet - something like £8 for a 60 mile journey.
good luck
Euge
Grafter

Yeah I would agree that since it was purchased as a return ticket, it would have to be refunded as a return ticket. Ironically you can get cheaper tickets by booking 2 single tickets. I've used national express a lot and just recently travelled from London to Cambridge for £1 by coach, the train from Bury, in Suffolk, to london cost me £6. The return journey would have cost me at least £50.
Community Veteran

I don`t think the "price" of the ticket is relevant to the fact that the return journey is not scheduled until the end of this month, and they said on their email to him that a refund is subject to minimum 72 hours notice, and a £5 surcharge per person..... (it does not say that "part , or return journey" , CANNOT be refunded)
looking at the FAQ (after the fact of the above, which is an email sent confirming the booking, to him in Italy) it says that "part tickets cannot be refunded" when checking the question, " can I get a refund on the return journey"..
If the "return journey" part of the ticket were to be refunded now, then they still have the option to re-sell in plenty of time before the scheduled journey.  If  no refund is given, then a customer who want to travel on that particular day and time, may not be able to do so, because the coach is fully booked.  If my friend decides NOT to travel, and to lose the refund, that customer will still not be able to travel, despite there being 3 empty seats (my friends family) available, but in theory still booked... !
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Ticket Refunds

Not necessarily. If a coach is fully booked and people don't turn up by the departure time the seat can be resold to anyone standing by to travel.
Community Veteran

I wonder how many people stand about, near a National Express bus stop..... just in case someone doesn`t turn up ...  Undecided
Community Veteran

Not sure about NatEx - but here in Scotland CityLink & Megabus are  the main coach operators with just a few NatEx's crossing the border.
But at bus stations they do have people waiting for the buses on the chance that there are seats - and apparently there often are.
Same as the trains - they have many more seat reservations that people who turn up. Maybe why NatEx introduced charges for seat reservations on their East Coast Main Line franchise - just before the government said they would take the franchise off them because of break of contract - allegedly  !.