cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tick this box

Fixes: 125

Tick this box

I thought rules had changed some time ago so that you had to opt in to marketing when contacting a company through their website rather than opt out.
But over the last few weeks I have come across many sites that still ask you to tick the box if you do not want to hear from them or third parties. The latest was South East Water a few minutes ago.
Although not a big issue how many will get caught out by this?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

12 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Re: Tick this box

I did this through Tesco the other day.
I had to untick boxes (ticked by default) to stop them sending me stuff.
Community Veteran

........and some of the tick boxes aren't easy to see - easy to sign up for something unintentionally  Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I found that many companies will still put you on their mailing list regardless. I ordered something from Tesco Direct years ago and made sure I opted out and I still get the Tesco Food and Wine emails every week  Roll eyes Halfords did the same thing too - sent a complaint to their customer services and they've been hitting me ever since too.
It seems that most companies would rather chance it than resist an opportunity to try and shove their advertising down your throat. Just like the TPS that doesn't stop the sales calls this opt in / out thing is just as useless.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I find it particularly confusing when there are different defaults to questions on the same screen. e.g "Tick to opt out of communications from us; leave unticked to opt out of communications from trusted partners"
Razer
Grafter

They're determined to weasel their way in, however they can. It's a bit like cookies with some sites.
'Will you accept a cookie from xyz.com?' I click deny.
'Will you accept a cookie from xyz.com?' I check the box to remember and then click deny.
'Will you accept a cookie from b.xyz.com?' I check the box to remember and then click deny.
'Will you accept a cookie from xyz.net?' GRRR!
christmas
Grafter

Apparently 15 million or 60 % of UK households are signed up to the Telephone Preference Service, you'd think the marketing companies, data agencies and government would get the message. There should be no number withheld option for commercial companies, cold callers should have to give the source of their information. Although some calls can be fun, such as the accident claim company that rang. Having told them I'd been in accident and been decapitated....I was asked if I went to hospital.
As for tick boxes, what one would regard as trusted sites have them worded in such a way that no actually means yes.
On Cookies I tend to ignore the pop up and continue using the website, are the sites allowed to automatically install the cookie or does the user have to click YES first?
Automated emails...which can't be replied to. They are the equivalent of slamming a door in someone's face telling them to go away. An energy company wrote to me about their new easy online facility, signed by one their executives. I tried the facilities and there was a problem, so I'd thought I reply to the email pointing out a problem...could reply? No, instead I got this...."Thanks for your email, but unfortunately it was a reply to an automated email so we won't get to see your query," How was it 'unfortunate' ? The executive had deliberately chosen not to receive replies to his email.
Fixes: 125

Quote from: christmas
Although some calls can be fun, such as the accident claim company that rang. Having told them I'd been in accident and been decapitated....I was asked if I went to hospital.

Grin Grin Grin Good one!

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

christmas
Grafter

Re Tick boxes, the ones attached to software, who reads the licence? Instead of a don't accept option, why not 'I accept but haven't read the licence' ? Which is probably the truth for the vast majority of people.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 3

I think this is a great idea, might do it myself Smiley
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23869462
Regards
Mike
Mike
Community Veteran

That's a great idea.  I wonder how long it will be before Ofcom bans it Undecided
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: I
I think this is a great idea, might do it myself Smiley
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23869462
Regards
Mike

Note that he set this up a couple of years ago.
I know of people who had done this before then.
It only takes one person in a company to do this, then others follow.
Community Veteran

He was explaining it on Breakfast TV this morning and said he has made £300 so far this year.  He was warned that what he is doing is wrong as he doesn't comply with the rules for one of these lines.