cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thunderstorms

Community Veteran

Thunderstorms

Reports from my sister in Belfast of severe thunder and lightning. Beautiful sunny day here about 25 miles south. Looking at the met office forecast I should get my share before nightfall. I get excited like a child on Christmas day at the thought of thunder and lightning, I love it! Smiley
59 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Re: Thunderstorms

It's been baking here for the last few days.
I love a good thunderstorm though Smiley
Community Veteran

Looks like the worse may miss you http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html
I too love storms - I even enjoyed them when at sea and it was force 8 or 9
Fixes: 124

I remember when my daughter was very little (maybe two or three) - she stood by the back door watching the lightening with a sense of awe and fascination - not the least bit scared.
I've always liked thunderstorms Smiley

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

I think lightning is beautiful and thunder is one of the most amazing, facinating sounds I have ever heard.
The showers are very scattered but it looks like I will see at least one later today.
Community Veteran

I have plans for a visit to tornado alley next year, last chance before I am 30. Was looking at this: http://www.silverliningtours.com/Default.aspx?tabid=305
That along with everything else is a little up in the air though until I can get back into full time work.
Community Veteran

We had a tornado in April whilst I was in Florida.  Fortunately it hit further south of us and caused a lot of damage.  We had tremendous rain for a few hours.  Quite exciting really - bit like a hurricane Smiley
Community Veteran

You are making me jealous. The thing about me wanting to go storm chasing is that I don't care much for tornados, just the huge thunderstorms.
N/A

I used to love thunderstorms (well, I would, being a Force 9-er). However, 3 of my dogs get so screwed up that I can't really enjoy them now.  Sad
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Get a lot of electrical storms here and it this example thread why I hate them.  Lost a PC and router a year ago to one when I couldn't unplug it while out shopping, and yes my pc/router was behind surge protection.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
Community Veteran

I have heard that some animals get really freaked out by it.
I can only remember 3 real good storms in my lifetime. First was in 1985 during the night when my mum came running into my bedroom to throw holy water over me, yes I thought it was strange at the time but she was a very traditional Irish Cathloic Grin. That same night my neighbour was looking out his bedroom window when lightning struck the washing line pole about 3 feet away from his window. The split in the pole still exists to this day. His mum had to take him to the doctor and he didn't go to school or come out of the house for a couple of weeks with fear!
The last was in 2003 just after the highest recorded UK temperature in history. I was living in a terraced house in Belfast and watched the whole thing standing on top of my oil tank in the back yard in a t-shirt. It was amazing with several lightning strikes at the same time, lasted for hours!
Community Veteran

Thankfully I have not seen any damage to equiptment over the years only dial up modems. All of my stuff is behind a APC 3000RM smart UPS and a surge protected trailing socket which I suppose is no use if my phone line is hit sending power through the router and all the cat 5 cabling to everything else!
N/A

A few years ago two of my friends had the modems in their computers fried - they were both using dialup at the time. Took them to the local computer shop and it was quite cheap and quick to have them replaced.
Even now I still don't unplug my router and don't use a surge protector. Neither do I unplug the television and aerial like my mum and dad used to do.
Must make a summer resolution to do so next time we have a storm.
thejudge
Grafter

Quoth Sean Branagh:
First was in 1985 during the night when my mum came running into my bedroom to throw holy water over me

How nice of her to make you more conductive to electricity during a thunderstorm!  Wink
You might like to see this photo on my site:
http://www.thejudge.me.uk/Not_blog/Pictures/Gal_pg_l0001.htm
scootie
Grafter

not the same as being there but i find watching these storm chasers streams when there heading in to the eye of the storm cool.
http://www.severestudios.com/livechase
http://www.justin.tv/stormchasers

my close encounter with a strike was 20 feet away when i was sheltering from the storm at a cricket pavilon the strike just hit the ground. no tree or metal nothing but the ground. all tho it was chucking it down so may of been standing water i think that was in 2003