cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thunderbird

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Thunderbird

Back in the long dim and distant past when I used MS Outlook Express for email, it could be setup for replies and forwards to be automatically be typed in whatever colour and font you wished (usually blue). In truth its about the only feature I miss from OE.

In Thunderbird if this automatic facility exists in settings somewhere I can't find it. Yes I know it can be done by highlighting the text and changing it in the usual way, but this needs to be a deliberate action rather than being automatic.

Anyone know if the facility is available in Thunderbird?

Very politely, to users of "plain text" I am aware of the pros and cons, but I still prefer to use "rich text"

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
5 REPLIES
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 38

Re: Thunderbird

Are you referring to the colour of the text you are going to type? The colour of that (and of the background) is an option in Tools->Options->Composition tab (lower part).

David
Community Veteran

Yes David. the normal default text colour in Firefox "Write" is black. When typing a Reply or Forward it is also black. In OE it is possible (or used to be) to change the default to a colour (mostly blue) so that replies and forwards are always by default your own choice.

In fact if I recall it, OE text in replies and forwards was (in the early versions anyway) by default blue, but it could be changed if wished.

A very minor preference I realise, but I always (and still do) like the blue text for replies etc.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

In fact David that doesn't work.

Tools/Options/Compositions changing the colour, changes it in "Write" (globally in Firefox you might say) as well, there seems to be no option to change just the reply and forward colour default.

As there is (or used to be) in Outlook Express.

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 38

I hadn't thought of it changing everything, but being a global setting I guess that's to be expected. Sad

If one goes into composition within Account Settings, this leads to the global settings for anything beyond layout.

It's worth checking if there are any Add-ons that change the default text colours for individual parts of the message.

Alternatively a per-message approach would be to start a reply then select Format->Text Colour and choose a colour. I think the selector remembers what was chosen last time.

David
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

There is an addon for selecting different accounts to reply with and it changes the colour.

I.e. I have several aliases that I use dependant on where the email came from and this allows me to select the correct alias to reply with, since TB uses the global default one.