cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thunder, lightning and snow!

Community Veteran

Thunder, lightning and snow!

What a strange combination I witnessed this evening here in County Down, Ireland. I am very familiar with the production of lightning and know there is no reason why clouds cannot produce lightning at this time of year.
Despite this I was shocked to see very close lightning while there was heavy snow and several inches on the ground! I am sure not many people in this part of the world have ever seen this, I know I never did until today.
4 REPLIES
prichardson
Grafter

Re: Thunder, lightning and snow!

I did experience a very scary, yet strange event last year.
On what I can only describe as an early evening (lightly fading light) of light fog, we were having a good dusting of snow.
In all, one or the other would have produced decent visibility, combined, it was pretty bad.
I'm on the M62 nearing Manchester whilst returning home so I could come to work the next day, all traffic must have been doing around 35mph. Frankly I would have said that was a bit slow, as the conditions were not overkill.
Now I had seen some lightening on the way to Liverpool that day and there was a light layer of snow on the ground, but the sky above Manchester (at least were I was) were refraining from bearing down.
The next thing the hail starts in and a few minutes later, lightening.
The snow was still there, only a little lighter.
The M62 was a car park for about 20 to 25 mins. Once it stopped, we actually realised most cars were bumper to bumper, with very little room between them.
Nobody realised this though, as despite fog lights, you just could seem them and there were little more than a faint glow.
It was indeed a very odd one and something I did not think was possible to be honest.
pcoventry
Grafter

Trouble is when you get to windy hill your at the highest peak in the country so it's always going to be the worst conditions for that stretch of the M62
Community Veteran

I am sure not many people in this part of the world have ever seen this,

Sounds awesome Sean. I've certainly never witnessed anything like that. I live in Seaforde (well when I'm not working here in Sheffield) and from what I've heard the weather at home has been pretty grim. My uncle got stuck in Ballynahinch for nearly 4 hours whilst travelling from Carryduff to Newcastle.
Glad I missed it (just).
pcoventry
Grafter

i've only ever seen snow and lighting once and that was on the M74 coming back from Glasgow december 2006