cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thumbing a lift

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Thumbing a lift

Must be many years ago since I saw someone trying to thumb a lift, guess everyone has a car these days.

The only exception has been the odd person with trade plates under their arm at motorway junctions.

Anyway the question is, if you did see someone thumbing a lift would you stop and offer them one, in my case the answer would be no but I have given strangers a lift, not that they were actually thumbing a lift but waiting at a bus stop on some country lane where the only bus on that route would be going to the local town and it was obvious from the way they were dressed why they were at that bus stop.

20 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Thumbing a lift

The last time I gave anyone a lift, was many many years ago... two girls were hitching a lift on a busy road, without success... until I came along, that is.. !..  So I stopped and asked where they were going,  and one replied.. ( what to me sounded like Southsea....) ... so I said OK...  and in they got.   they were busy chatting away in some forren language, oblivious of the journey.. until we arrived at the sea front, in Southsea...    So I asked again, where they wanted to be dropped off... and then, they said... SELSEY.. ! ! ..

I had picked them up, just north of the city of  Portsmouth, driven the 6 miles down to Southsea, then had to take them back up to where they started, and onwards another 23 miles to Selsey... then return back to Portsmouth... ! ! !

Embarrassed

Doh !... never stopped for anyone since  ! ! !   Cheesy

Community Veteran

The last person I picked up was holding a petrol can.

Back in the day I've been in this position myself. But like the pick up that was a few decades ago.

Maybe the cheapness of services like megabus have made the thumbing redundant.

Community Veteran

I think it is more of a "fear factor" on both sides of the "pick up" that  has reduced/stopped people thumbing a lift...

If you are a driver,... on your own.. you will be afeared that the male person is going to threaten you with a knife or worse... and also afeared that a female would accuse you of indecency or worse... 

the prospective thumbers, would also be afeared that they were getting into a close "situation" with an unknown escaped psycopath.. or worse..

so Megabus doesn`t really come into the picture... 

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Not done it for years and probably never will any more.

Used to be the case in my younger days that anybody in uniform or anyone holding those trade plates you mention would probably be given a lift but now? Those that stick their thumbs out do not have a clue as to how it should be done and be done safely by giving the oncoming driver enough distance to see you, have time to think, and have the ability to pull over neatly. Crikey, I've even seen guys trying to thumb lifts on the approach to motorways!

As for stopping to pick up that attractive 'damsel in distress' - not these days..... and not at my age! 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

shutter wrote:

so Megabus doesn`t really come into the picture... 

I'm not so sure that's the case that money doesn't come into it.

For some people the "fear factor" has always been there, it's nothing new.

Is there anyone here whose parents didn't warn them about getting into a strangers car?

Seems to me that's the only thing that has changed, cheaper long distance bus / coach travel.

Fixes: 47

Minivanman wrote:
As for stopping to pick up that attractive 'damsel in distress' - not these days..... and not at my age! 

A few years ago I was driving home from work on a warm sunny day when clouds came over and a thunder storm with torrential rain ensued.

Up the road I saw a young woman in light summer clothing carrying a small child.

There was nowhere for them to shelter and I did briefly consider stopping and offering a lift.

I thought better of it and carried on my journey.

There was a time when I could have stopped but sadly not these days.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

@shutter

I guess if you did give someone a lift and some problem arose you would get little sympathy from most people who might think you should have had more sense. !

In my younger days I often thumbed lifts but was always with someone else and from the gear we were carrying it was obvious what we were up to.

By gear I mean ropes, rucksacks and a few rolls of homemade electron.

Minivanman
Hero

Ah yes, the old petrol can but a) who runs out of petrol these days and b) who keeps a can in the car anyway? Not me that's for sure on both counts although ditching 'the can in the back' took some doing. Force of habit I guess like keeping maps in the car even though I have a sat nav. 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.

30 years ago I was travelling in a car to the east coast with a few friends and the fan belt broke.

Fortunately one of the friends was a motor mechanic.

Our motor mechanic thumbed a lift to a garage 3 or 4 miles back, bought a replacement fan belt and thumbed a lift back to our car.

He then fitted the belt and we were off to the seaside.

Community Veteran

@ strat   singing....

"    We`re all going on a summer holiday...... " GrinGrinGrinGrin

Community Veteran

On the telly when a fan belt breaks there's always someone wearing a pair of tights, who whips them off and fixes it in seconds.

It was a hot day so I left mine at home.

Minivanman
Hero

Would a poster be showing their age if they asked what a fan belt was?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

gleneagles wrote:

Anyway the question is, if you did see someone thumbing a lift would you stop and offer them one, 

Not these days, there's too many crazy people out there with knives etc. The last time i was in a car that picked up a passenger i was a kid, in my grandads car to see my nan with my parent... some bloke side of the road thumbing it... he ended up in the back with me talking aboujt my toy crane i had in the box which was being returned as broken. Nice guy but looking back my family basically put me in a situation which today wouldn't be acceptable without a criminal record check, work references, police report and a query to interpol.

Today i'd possibly make the exception if it was a young lady stranded but certainly not a bloke unless it was a motorist stranded with a broken car who needed to get to a garage etc.

I'd certainly try to avoid dealing with road accident victims if I could (though my instinct would normally want to help them). I only say this as there was a case a year or two back where a victim sat in another persons car while waiting for the emergency services and then the fire brigade cut off the do gooders car roof to avoid spine injury getting the person out. Thats not something the car insurers would cover so the motorist is then at a loss and thats not a loss I could afford to take.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!