cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throw your mowers away....

N/A

Throw your mowers away....

As I walk the Cairns, up and down the streets of my locale the mowers are out and all the old folk (there are plenty where I live) are going red in the face and puffing and blowing with all the effort of mowing their lawns and this will persist for the next six months.  Not having grass myself (went over to gravel some time ago) I feel really sorry for them.
Now I have the answer to their dreams enabling them all to go ditch their mowers - Lazy Lawn.  My friend has just had it installed this week and it looks great.  Like me she has dogs and cannot maintain a lawn because it is constantly being 'irrigated' by them.  This is the  answer to her prayers.
It's horrendously expensive (although we did not discuss the actual sum) so would only be good for a small-ish area.  If I had known about this I might have considered it for the back garden at least. Some pictures here for you to admire:
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Throw your mowers away....

A local garden centre has just been "taken over" by another company, and is in the process of "re-vamping" the place..... New tarmac carpark, re-paint. outside, etc.... and they have installed the same stuff in what used to be a small garden area alongside the building near the main entrance... always looks "fresh" and smart.... there is no "advertising" or prices on it...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Few years ago now, I sold off my front lawn as turf, I didn't get a lot for it but it paid for the fruit bushes and strawberry plants that now occupy the same space. Still takes the same amount of tending and care, but we’re still eating last years crop.
Fixes: 105

didn't it used to called astro-turf Roll eyes
Will Moderate For Thanks
N/A

Yes, I remember that name too.  Maybe this product is better as some years have elapsed since that was first marketed. 
Some of my elderly neighbours are paying gardeners to maintain their plots from about March to October, usually every 2 weeks so if you factor the cost of that into the equation Lazy Lawn might not be so expensive after all.
We could see a time would come when the garden was going to be difficult to maintain due to health problems and that's why we changed to gravel with borders of low maintenance shrubs and bark chippings.  That day has come so we are pleased that we did it but had I known about this before the gravel was laid I would have preferred the Lazy Lawn. 
It is artificial and on close inspection you can see that but my own view is not to see it as pretend grass but as an aesthetically pleasing ground cover.  Possibly it would seem more artificial in the winter when the expectation is that lawns will look a bit shabby.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I Seem to recall there was a product that you could water on hedges and lawns that would reduce the growing time.
Not sure if it was ever successful.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

some firms dont know how to advertise their products, this roundabout looks more like a ploughed field, they have relayed it since google took this pic
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: gleneagles
I Seem to recall there was a product that you could water on hedges and lawns that would reduce the growing time.

Cutlass (for hedges)? Last date for use 31.12.03.
http://www.rhs.org.uk/Gardening/Help-advice/Garden-chemicals-and-pesticides/Chemicals
pierre_pierre
Grafter

just found the web site for my picture above http://www.easylawnsltd.com/
N/A

It's a wonder that roundabout hasn't been set upon by light-fingers never mind green ones! Anyway. thanks for the information Pierre - it's good to know that there are other alternatives if you were interested as it is always best to get more than one quote.  Wonder if Jason and Sean fancy a trip up North?    Cheesy
Community Veteran

no wonder we're losing wildlife diversity.  my garden is a wonderful tangle of wildness, giving me a lovely crop of wild strawberries every year.  myriad insects love it.  no astro turf for me.
Fixes: 47

I have an area of my garden which is currently wild and is loved by cats, birds and insects alike.
It would be a great shame to Astro-turf it over.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
pierre_pierre
Grafter

got the cure for my front garden, naturalised daffodills, cant cut the lawn yet