Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throw the book at these people.

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Throw the book at these people.

A little lad has just died after being a bitten by a dog - these owners should have the book thrown at them with a charge of manslaughter at the very least. Anybody want to take a guess at the breed of dog?

When my daughter came to stay for a few months with our two small grandchildren I had no hesitation in finding a new home for our Jack Russell. It made me sad to do so but rather that than have the little guy muzzled 24/7 or see my kids bitten. It was a no brainer as far as i was concerned.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-37129134    

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
39 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Re: Throw the book at these people.

in this case it was even worse as it wasn't an isolated incident https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/aug/19/boy-dies-dog-bite-essex-woman-arrested

On Monday David Ellam, 52, was killed by a dog that had been returned to its owner despite concerns that it was dangerous. He was out walking with his yorkshire terrier close to his home in Huddersfield when he was attacked by another dog. He later died in hospital.

West Yorkshire police said the animal that attacked Ellam had been seized by police following a visit by a dog warden in June, and had been returned to its owner on 8 August after it was determined that it was not a banned breed.

Community Veteran

More information about the opening post

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/essex-dog-attack-death-young-8662103

Shocked neighbours said they could hear "agonising screams for a good five minutes" coming from inside the house before the blood-soaked animal, thought to be a large white pitbull, emerged.

Chillingly, the dog was spotted sitting calmly outside the home just moments after the attack, with blood all over its paws and mouth.

Fixes: 47

People treat a dog as a member of the family.

They never have been and never will be.

I see lots of youths walking Pit Bull type dogs and they are a status symbol to them.

As you can see I'm not a dog fan.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I wonder if it would be more useful to have a list of dogs that could be legal to keep rather than listing those that should not be kept ?

There must be a fair list of breeds of dogs that have never attacked people.

Of course no one should be expected to get rid of a dog if this was introduced but it could be phased in over a number of years.

The only exceptions to the rule might be police or dogs used by the army.

A dog license and compulsory chipping of all dogs needs to be introduced asap.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

It's not always the dog to blame, if they're repeatedly beaten and shouted at, they'll usually turn out to be aggressive and dangerous, whether it's a pit bull or a saluki, but there are the exceptions to the rule, as like with humans, there will always be animals with mental health problems due to breeding, illness or injury, the only difference is we don't put humans who kill to sleep...

Community Veteran

actually there aren't - a fair list of dogs which have never attacked people that is - even Labradors which are one of the most gentle dogs and used as guide dogs for the blind have been known to

Minivanman
Hero

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I was bitten last week by some little disgrace that was the other side of someones letterbox. I was putting out lost cat leaflets on behalf of my neighbours and this one house had the flap at the back of the letterbox and a draught excluder. Naturally to get anything right through you have to push it through with your fingers. Little **** had my finger which hurt like hell, caused me to go to the doctors for a dressing and antibiotics and over a week of misery with pain. I still can't use my finger properly without upsetting the wound.

Dog warden wasn't really that bothered either saying he was just going on leave but to contact him again in a week. Called him back today he said he'd been busy with strays. I mentioned my concerns about other people like the postman or leaflet people being bitten and he really couldn't seem to care less.

Whats wose is i left a note for the owners with my mobile number at least expecting a text saying sorry about the bite. Nothing, absolutely nothing. I'll give the dog warden 48 hours and after that a complaint is going to the police.

Making matters worse last night I was cutting my cats matted fur off his back legs and he decided to take a bite at me too - six times in less than 2 seconds. Didn't hurt much at the time but 10 minutes later it was throbbing a bit.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 123

Minivanman wrote:

The best advice one can give. I have even told my daughter many times not too let the dogs to close to my granddaughter yet she continues to allow them to do so. They might be seem docile and fun but can soon turn for no apparent reason.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Minivanman wrote:

Depends on the dog really doesn't it. This might change your mind:

http://www.itv.com/news/2016-08-19/family-dog-dies-shielding-baby-from-house-fire/

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

I might change my mind if I viewed it anthropomorphically as the newspaper did.

But as it's a dog who really knows what it was thinking.

Perhaps it was just protecting its next meal.

Minivanman
Hero

Minivanman
Hero

It's been a legal requirement to have your dog microchipped since earlier this year I believe, as for a dog licence that should be a minimum at least £100. Some folks will go out and pay £500 in a heartbeat for certain breeds of dogs and yet gripe about having to pay for a licence? Sheer nonsense.    

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

In the hands of a bad driver, a car can kill, so we have licences and insurance policies for them, so license and insurance for dogs in the hands of bad owners isn't unreasonable, it's just the people in charge of the country haven't go the nads to stand up and do it, but are perfectly happy to create laws against dogs, but keeping them in check, ooh, that's too much work for them...