Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Three Mobile cyber hack

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Three Mobile cyber hack

Six million customers' private information at risk after employee login used to access database

Three said that the data accessed included names, phone numbers, addresses and dates of birth, but added that it did not include financial information.

You should  change the passwords for your online accounts immediately. 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11/17/three-mobile-cyber-hack--six-million-customers-private-da...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2016/11/17/three-hack-how-to-protect-yourself-if-youve-been-af...

6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Three Mobile cyber hack

Changed my password, but, good luck to anyone who stole my details (assuming they had been), ain't eligible for any upgrades at the moment... Funny

nadger
Rising Star

Off to change my online passwords with Three.

Only have sim only accounts with them but.....

Infinity
Pro

I checked my  online accounts with Three

As far as I can see, the only personal information is my email address, nothing else.

My address is blank, as are all other details, no name entered.

I did the initial top-up using a voucher, and the SIMs (without phones) were sent having different numbers to what they are now...

Passwords changed anyway.

Infinity
Pro

Message from Dave Dyson CEO THREE

http://www.three.co.uk/upgrade-fraud?utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

As you may already know, we recently became aware of suspicious activity on the system we use to upgrade existing customers to new devices and I wanted to update all our customers on what happened and what we have done.

I understand that our customers will be concerned about this issue and I would like to apologise for this and any inconvenience this has caused.

Once we became aware of the suspicious activity, we took immediate steps to block it and add additional layers of security to the system while we investigated the issue.

On 17th November we were able to confirm that 8 customers had been unlawfully upgraded to a new device by fraudsters who intended to intercept and sell on those devices.

I can now confirm that the people carrying out this activity were also able to obtain some customer information. In total, information from 133,827 customer accounts was obtained but no bank details, passwords, pin numbers, payment information or credit/debit card information are stored on the upgrade system in question.

We believe the primary purpose of this was not to steal customer information but was criminal activity to acquire new handsets fraudulently.

We are contacting all of these customers today to individually confirm what information has been accessed and directly answer any questions they have.

As an additional precaution we have put in place increased security for all these customer accounts.

We have been working closely with law enforcement agencies on this matter and three arrests have been made.

I understand that this will have caused some concern and inconvenience for our customers and for that I sincerely apologise.

David Dyson

CEO

St3
All Star

You know something i try to use internet and mobile phones very little these days as theres just far too much data protection issues.

Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

St3 wrote:

You know something i try to use internet and mobile phones very little these days as theres just far too much data protection issues.

Yeah same as - I try to be vigilant. I don't use internet banking - thats just too inviting for criminals to target and banks to fight you with. My bank did try to encourage me multiple times to sign up to internet banking but if I don't then I can't have money go missing via that method and its one less thing for the bank to screw up.

My mobile is done by my partner so while they have her details, they don't have mine. My second sim is PAYG so again thats pretty safe - though they did ask me to register I told them I didn't want to and they accepted that.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!