cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Three Deaf Mice?

Community Veteran

Three Deaf Mice?

Living in the country i have always had the usual battle with mice this time every year up until about 4 years ago. I bought one of those ultrasonic things which appeared to work for the past 4 years.
Although I can still hear the device working it is definitely not doing its job this year as I have been forced back to the old fashoned method (photo attached) which I always feel a little guilty about.
How can this suddenly be the case? Are these deaf mice?
5 REPLIES
scootie
Grafter

Re: Three Deaf Mice?

or very hungery, possable the unit is no longer emiting the right frequency that they hate.
could be evolution at play but you would expect that not to just suddenly happen.
the tawn yowls that love the trees that back on to are garden keep the mice in there place, the the sercuity light gets on your wick when they set it off thoe.
Community Veteran

Like you say I doub't it it is evoloution. After all the years they have not learned to stay away from small pieces of wood with big metal springs on top! LoL.
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Sean
Although I can still hear the device working...

Doesn't that suggest that the device is defective, if it's supposed to be ultrasonic?
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran

To keep the original post simple I did not elaborate on this. No I cannot hear the device during normal operation. What I (and the dog) can hear is the wind up and the wind down of the device when it is powered on or off. Also when it is in "random" mode as it continously starts and stops. I would compare this to the sound of a hard disk starting or stopping.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Shouldn't be a 24/7 or long term deterrent they get accustomed to it and put up with it, having it on all the time removes the Shock value.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017