cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thought for the weekend

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Thought for the weekend

The fertile mind of Leonardo da Vinci –Leo or Vinny to his friends- who, some think I’m old enough to have known personally; Inspiration of probably the worst movie this century. Who probably understood the principles of television, nuclear fission and the personal computer, but was tired after knocking-up (er! painting) the Mona Lisa, and if the rumours are true, zonked-out smoking pot, so left them for someone else to dabble with, he though completely failed to address one of the greatest mystery’s known to science; Take a cup of boiling water and, a cup of ice cold water, pour them together into a suitable container, and in a short time they will equalise to room temperature, But the great unanswered question is; does the hot water cool down, or the cold water warm up?
I believe LdaV realised the answer to this held the answer to the Earth shattering problem of what happens after the fossil fuels run-out. I understand that the coalition governments of the UK and the USA together with those co-opted of the Upper Volta and Swaziland, are threatening to go to war with the entirely innocent Eskimos of Lapland, in a bid to secure for themselves the ice in the Arctic. At this very moment an embargo on whale blubber is being forced through the United Nations. A diplomatic note has been sent to the Canadian Embassy regretting the exportation of harpoons and other possible weapons of mass destruction to the Eskimo’s. Predictably the French have decided to remain neutral in this matter, but are secretly producing ice-cube trays in huge numbers.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
93 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Thought for the weekend

Quote from: petlew
Take a cup of boiling water and, a cup of ice cold water, pour them together into a suitable container, and in a short time they will equalise to room temperature, But the great unanswered question is; does the hot water cool down, or the cold water warm up?

I suppose it depends on the room temperature.
what happens after the fossil fuels run-out.

That will be sorted long before it happens.
exportation of harpoons and other possible weapons of mass destruction to the Eskimo’s.

One man's weapon of mass destruction is another man's survival tool.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Who probably understood the principles of television, nuclear fission and the personal computer, but was tired after knocking-up (er! painting) the Mona Lisa, and if the rumours are true, zonked-out smoking pot, so left them for someone else to dabble with, he though completely failed to address one of the greatest mystery’s known to science; Take a cup of boiling water and, a cup of ice cold water, pour them together into a suitable container, and in a short time they will equalise to room temperature, But the great unanswered question is; does the hot water cool down, or the cold water warm up?

I do believe that's the longest sentence I've ever seen. Shocked
As for the question, you may not have been wanting an answer, but I'll give you one anyway. It's a bit of a 'glass half full/empty' scenario really: you could say it's both hot water cooling down and cold water heating up. Heat is just a perception of energy - i.e. when we say something is 'hot', the truth of the matter is that the molecules of that item are being very 'energetic'. So when you mix two fluids of different temperatures together, the molecules moving around with less energy (the cold water) take upon some of the hot water's more energetic molecules' energy.
(By the way, that is a deliberately simplified explanation, before any physicists start jumping down my throat!)
Fixes: 47

But if the room temperature is 373 degrees Absolute........... Wink
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

I think you'll find that room temperature is generally accepted to be around 295 degrees absolute. Tongue
Bob_Milton
Grafter

Quote from: Be3G
I think you'll find that room temperature is generally accepted to be around 295 degrees absolute. Tongue

Are you absolutely sure ?
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Quote from: Strat
Take a cup of boiling water and, a cup of ice cold water, pour them together into a suitable container, and in a short time they will equalise to room temperature, But the great unanswered question is; does the hot water cool down, or the cold water warm up?

I suppose it depends on the room temperature.

It also depends on the pressure.
Water can boil at quite a low temperature if the pressure is low.
Wikipedia says that at the triple point,
The single combination of pressure and temperature at which pure water, pure ice, and pure water vapour can coexist in a stable equilibrium occurs at exactly 273.16 K (0.01 °C) and a pressure of 611.73 pascals (ca. 6.1173 millibars, 0.0060373057 atm). At that point, it is possible to change all of the substance to ice, water, or vapor by making arbitrarily small changes in pressure and temperature.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

If room temperature is generally accepted as 295 degrees absolute. then it`s about time somebody explained global warming to the occupants, and perhaps they should moderate the temperature to prevent getting overheated. I turn my central heating off when the room gets too warm,  and it never reaches 60 degrees let alone 295 degrees. that is an absolute truth.
Community Veteran

[me=Be3G]points out that 295 degrees absolute, assuming 'absolute' is being used for 'Kelvin', equates to approximately 22 degrees Celsius.[/me]
Bob_Milton
Grafter

Can we be serious for a minute about these glasses of liquid.
I'd prefer a large gin and tonic, with ice, no lemon.
Now isn't that a better thought for the weekend ?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

So long as it`s served at room temperature......
jmd
Grafter

besides which the chancellor has made sure it will cost you more.................... Cry Grin
Rikaitch
Grafter

Quote from: Be3G

I was always taught it was 293 degrees kelvin, at a pressure of 1 bar.
*edit* I did the freezing point. Oops *blushes*
Community Veteran

273 degrees Kelvin (well, 273.15 to be precise) is the equivalent to 0 degrees Celsius... that's a pretty cold room. Smiley
pierre_pierre
Grafter

when I went to school it was -459.67