Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Those Were The Days.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Those Were The Days.

No not Mary Hopkins, but this little gem from Sony.

How time flies. 

Any more such memories out there? 

PS. And yes, many of us will remember that rather risqué one for Cadbury's Flake. 😆

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
18 REPLIES 18
TTman
Seasoned Champion

Re: Those Were The Days.

@Minivanman  I had one of those. Betamax better than VHS but as history shows was wrong choice!!!!SadCrazy3

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I hired a VHS recorder before going for a top of the range JVC front loader for around £700, which had just about every control on it, from Comet. Then I thought I must be crazy I mean £700 so I took it back.

It was all new to the sales people as well so I just told them the front loading bit wasn't working right. Then watched as they pushed a tape in then couldn't get it back out. They were still thinking "top loader" so it never occurred to them that the front loading bit meant it needed plugging in for that part to work.

Still it didn't take them long to get the money back as the newly opened Comet stores were an eye opener with the piles of boxes all around and so much cheaper than other usual stores.

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Seemed like a dream when those vhs recorders came out, record stuff to watch later and cue through those adverts, £700, could never afford that and had to wait until the price came down.

I still have some tapes but.....no recorder, still got LP’s including MH singing those were the days....but no record deck ....

Things soon become dated, few modern cars have CD players, hard to think what will replace usb sticks but no doubt something will.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
TTman
Seasoned Champion

Anyone remember Kunzle cakes? A real treat!!

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Looking back I don't recall my parents buying cakes of any sort which is rather strange when I now come to think of it. Nearest we ever came was some sponge cake mix in a box that my mother would buy from the local grocers shop. 

Grocers shops? What the heck were they say's anybody under fifty! 

billnotben
Community Veteran

@Minivanman wrote:

Looking back I don't recall my parents buying cakes of any sort

Neither do I. I recall all meals including cakes were made from scratch as it were.

Takeaways (apart from fish and chip shops), ready meals, what were they.

The big innovation of the time was probably spam.😀

Mook
Champion

@TTman Never heard of them are they a local thing?

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Just chatting to the Mrs (her father ran a cafe) and she remembers those Kunzle cakes very well as they used to sell them. 7d each at the time she said (mid 60s) so not cheap... and she never got to have them either as they were for the shop only!  

TTman
Seasoned Champion

@Mook  No i think they were nationwide. Sold by J Lyons in Lyons Corner Houses. You can google them and see what they looked like.

John

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@TTman 

Ah now there's a lovely memory, Joe Lyons Corner Houses. 

Used to use one just down from Victoria railway station in London and seem to remember there was one in Croydon as well. Great cup of tea always, but still don't recall those cakes!

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

@billnotben, my first video recorder was a JVC VHS recorder purchased in early 1986 (late starter? no, just poor) priced at £799 but reduced to - I think - £649.  It seemed to have all the functions anyone could want (and I didn't need many of them).  My reason for going with a JVC model was that JVC pioneered the VHS system so I thought they'd have perfected it by then, and I was hoping that a top-of-the-range model would last longer than a cheaper one.  It served me well for 15 and a half years; it wasn't the electronics that let me down but the electric motor that was no longer able to pull the tape.  When I pressed PLAY, REWIND, FAST FORWARD, or RECORD, there would be a purring sound before it gave up and stopped.

I managed to get through another, much cheaper, and more basic JVC video recorder that lasted about six years, and a further cheap analogue LG one from Argos before I switched to my current Humax HDR-Fox T2 in 2011.  I still have the LG and every now and again I watch one of the few tapes I have of family occasions etc.  However, the last time I used it, it started demanding head cleaning.  I do have an old head cleaning tape but it doesn't seem to make much difference so the LG may now also have reached the end of its natural life.

Interestingly the pricey JVC never needed its heads cleaning and the picture and sound quality remained the same till the end.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Those head cleaning tapes were never much good I found as they only cleaned the tip, much better to clean the head direct with a cotton bud dipped in alcohol and a gentle dab on each of the sides. Constant use of the same tape would play havoc by leaving debris to build up.

The machines were well overpriced I know that and although VHS captured the market, the best of the bunch by far (and the most expensive) was the Sony C6 Betamax. Best to my mind of the VHS range was the Panasonic. 

Good fun while they lasted though, and I still have video tapes of my kids from they were growing up. All copied onto USB memory sticks and given out to the family in the hope that some at least will not get lost!  

Mook
Champion

I remember a friend of my saying after a few beers he was off to reset his memory so he could start again. I looked at him and asked him to explain. He said he was going home to listen to his head cleaning cassette!

RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

There's an Englishman missing from that story @Mook !  Cheesy