Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thomas Cook

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Thomas Cook

Looks like it's going bust. Announcement expected later tonight. Only 150000 people to repatriate!

26 REPLIES 26
Highlighted
All Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Thomas Cook

It’s still business as usual, right up to the eleventh hour....

Highlighted
All Star

The eleventh hour has arrived and the Company’s now collapsed....

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Going, going ... and now not going or coming home from anywhere now.

What a shame when such a long standing company goes down the pan like this and of course, all those lost jobs and stranded holiday makers - but what can you expect when, as travel writer Simon Calder says, they were not ready for the 20th century - "It was using a model that was great for the second half of the 20th Century where people would obediently go into their local travel agency and book a package holiday"

When is the last time anybody here booked through a travel agency, and although a lot of people have, most do not not and for the life of me I cannot recall ever having done so.

But there you go, or not. Sad 

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

The very last flight (from Orlando) landed at Manchester about an hour ago. It was in the air when the announcement was made. They made it by the skin of their teeth. 

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 8

@Minivanman wrote:

Going, going ... and now not going or coming home from anywhere now.

What a shame when such a long standing company goes down the pan like this and of course, all those lost jobs and stranded holiday makers - but what can you expect when, as travel writer Simon Calder says, they were not ready for the 20th century ...

But there you go, or not. Sad 

Not ready for the 20th Century, what an understatement by Calder: we're close to 20% through the 21st. Indeed it's sad to see a name go, but what's in a name except maybe to entice those who are impressed?

I think I used them decades ago for a Canadian tour, which we enjoyed, despite a fatality causing organisational difficulty. I commented about the branding to which the tour rep was cynical about the product being dressed up beyond its worth.

The enterprise has been bailed out several times, and it would seem that the directors, though not illegally, have continued to pay themselves well, so I can understand the Government's decision not to bail the company out.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

I think what he is saying there is that they should have seen this coming years ago and it is not something they should be surprised about - and as you said yourself, they have been bailed out several times.

Having said that, somebody saw it coming as the government or whoever seems to have got things off to a flying start in getting folks home.  

Listening to Simon Calder earlier he said that Thomas Cook accepted a booking from him at 12.30 am this morning and of then course those like yourself or your brokers maybe bought shares from the likes if Tui in the hope that the price would go up in aniticipation of an increase in business and which of course, they did.

Sombody's loss, somebody's gain, and now many out of work but I guess like so much else the internet has cut out the middle man.

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 5

It appears they [-Censored-]ed up.

As their motto used to go, "Don't just *ook it, Thomas Cook it".  Cheesy

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Avoidance of swear filter edited as per Forum rules.

Highlighted
All Star

Supposed I must take some of the blame, the last time I used them was for a holiday to Italy in 1970.

Highlighted
Pro

I walked past my local Thomas Cook's on Friday and the staff had turned out the lights and were all huddled in a "team meeting"  as if someone had just died Undecided 

It must be awful for the staff and their future.Cry

I confess, I've not used Thomas Cook (or COSMOS) for ages too!

I think I still have some old Thomas Cook Traveller's cheques, so I need to dig them out and see if they have any value or frame them Funny

Highlighted
Pro

The Labour Party were saying the Tories should be giving them some help and a  loan Smiley the Executives seem to of taken £30 million in bonuses over the last 5 years! https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/thomas-cook-bosses-who-received-20148924 

Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 4

Shame another airline has gone to the wall. I don't know the travel agency side of it, but the wife and my sister in law have flown Thomas Cook several times and have said they are one of the better ones they have flown with at reasonable prices too. I am sure the airline side of it will be missed as they also flew into a lot of places that the scheduled low cost airlines served, but as a charter airline, the service was better.

Mark

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 35

@Leapy wrote:

I think I still have some old Thomas Cook Traveller's cheques, so I need to dig them out and see if they have any value or frame them Funny

Keep them.... Look after them carefully.... and your descendants can take them to their version of "Flog It".. on the telly, and make a fortune...!

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Just so old world. Last time I used a travel agent was 2007. So easy to be your own travel agent. Yes, I do take the risk when I book but even if part tipped up, it would be a rare event to lose everything. Work colleague was bemoaning the fact that they had failed as he's due to go on hols with them next month. He only booked last couple of weeks. Where have these people been? It's been reported the company was getting into difficulties often enough. Later on this afternoon he was saying he'd found much the same itinerary for £600 less. Whether he'll get (some) money back, who  knows.

TBH, I'm surprised the government has once again got involved in flying people home. Isn't that what travel insurance is about? Covering the unexpected - although the collapse has been hardly hidden and unexpected! As usual, the travel industry seems to be content to let the Government do the running around.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 106

TBH, I'm surprised the government has once again got involved in flying people home. Isn't that what travel insurance is about? Covering the unexpected - although the collapse has been hardly hidden and unexpected! As usual, the travel industry seems to be content to let the Government do the running around.

That's the whole point of ATOL protection, the CAA have to cover people who booked packages and get them back home. Whilst they're doing that they may as well get people who booked flight only back as well. For any of those who paid with a CC them the CAA will get money back from the CC company

Whether he'll get (some) money back, who  knows.

If he booked a package then he'll get his money back from the CAA. If not then, as long as he paid with a CC then he can claim it back under section 75. I got caught in the Monarch collapse a couple of years ago and successfully got the CC company to pay for flights home and a refund for a future booking. Took a couple of months though...