Did you mean: 

This what BT are saying about speeds.

Bob_Milton
Grafter

This what BT are saying about speeds.

5 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Re: This what BT are saying about speeds.

I've never liked the industry insistence on marketing it as an upto 8Mbps product.
The reality is though, noone can not market it as such now.  Imagine if we implemented speed estimators at sign up (which we're looking at doing) and a potential customer saw that they could only get 3Mbps with us, but Tiscali said they could get upto 8Mbps, 9/10 they'll go with Tiscali.
OFCOM needs to actually set some guidelines.
Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

*koff*18 MONTHS LATE! *koff*
Sorry, that wasn't very subtle, was it...
Bob_Milton
Grafter

I have personal views about this too.
I am just a silly old fella and I don't know too much, but I believe this MaxDSL has always been a bit of a take on.
I fail to see how anyone, including BT, or especially BT, could ever have countenanced claiming to be able to successfully transmit a signal of up to about 1.1 or 1.3 MHertz over a local cable network which is a rag bag of 'audio' cables including the dreaded aluminium conductor cables, which are well known to suffer from high resistance joints, which cause noise. It was never envisaged that attempts would be made to transmit signals at those frequencies.
It is a network which is pretty poorly maintained (not improved by the use of contractors) and was also never intended to be used originally at the present line lengths. This was because of the pulse distortion experienced using loop/disconnect dialling. When tone signalling became available the exchange boundaries were extended to their present limits.
Perhaps the view was taken to 'suck it and see'. The 'see' part seems to be relying on people not understanding the physics involved, and not being able to complain effectively.
Could it be described as a triumph of marketing ?
Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I am just a silly old fella and I don't know too much

This was because of the pulse distortion experienced using loop/disconnect dialling. When tone signalling became available the exchange boundaries were extended to their present limits.

....I daren't ask what you'd want to know before you'd call yourself knowledgeable...
Bob_Milton
Grafter

It is a simple answer. Why do a number of very well qualified people seek to re-invent the wheel ?
Does that provoke a response from anyone ?Huh
Let me quote from an old retired friend who had a fairly senior engineering job in Britain's railways.
Jim said -- 'When they privatised the railways, they ignored the fact that there was a history of many years of railways.'
Moderators note by James_H : Removed full quote of previous post. Its not needed, and just makes the boards harder to read. link:rules