cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This should have been our invention.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

This should have been our invention.

Well done to every politician since Maggie Thatcher who has managed to destroy our railway industry. We were once the best, the leaders of rail innovation and now we're nothing - other people are now taking OUR invention forward.
The latest development is the train that doesn't need to stop when picking up or dropping off passengers. It works by having a pod that sits at the station. Passengers board it, the train shoots along underneath, the pod matches the trains speed and another pod at the end of the train slips off the end and stops at the platform - all without the train even stopping.
You can read more here - courtesy of everyones favourite paper:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2526386/The-train-NEVER-stops-moving-Concept-reveals-...
I'm really sad to see that we've completely lost our way in the UK. We were once one of the greatest nations in the world for development and now we're nothing.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: This should have been our invention.

As should the mass-transit long distance travellator  (rolling road) as written by Robert Heinlien
David_W
Rising Star

That's a terrible, wasteful invention.  A train that doesn't stop with limited space means you have a very long train for a small number of passengers, I think the reason it wasn't invented over here is that it's a really bad idea, that and we have lots of tunnels so it'd get knocked off in 5 seconds flat! Smiley
Community Veteran

Hmmm. The word 'Banzai' springs to mind. You would have to have a deathwish to use this. So many potential problems, snags,flaws etc.
Matching the speed in a pod, what if you're too fast or too slow?  Don't say it will never happen - 'titanic'! Undecided
That's just one ,the list is long.
PLan
Grafter

It's just a concept, there are others for non-stopping trains, here's a British one - link  Tongue
Community Veteran

We did invent such a scheme was used by the Post Office to snatch post bags into a moving train (sorting coach) and also dropping off mail bags for delivery. At least my Hornby train set used to do that.
With a few minor mods it could be adopted for passengers.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
RichAllen
Grafter

Non stop to pick up Passengers? Won't happen, the Health and Safety would have a fit.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Lol that's very true RA
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!