Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This really gets me.

idonno
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

This really gets me.

Looking to book a rush flight for tomorrow and single fare (thinking about flexibility for the return date) comes out at £856. Same flight / same route but as a return fare £755. How they can justify £100 more for a one way flight is beyond me.

Good to see the airline industry still rips people off. Nearly as bad as the railways.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
13 REPLIES 13
Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

Re: This really gets me.

Not unknown for airlines to over book flights on the assumption a few people will not turn up, thus resulting in passengers being 'bumped' off flights.

Daughter was travelling back from Italy one time and they were asking for 'volunteers' prepared to take a later flight the same day,

not being in a rush she volunteered and got a payment of £ 100 for doing so.

Fixes: 617

She should have held out for more - one flight i was on started at €100 but got to €350 before someone bit!
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

@gleneagles 

@dvorak 

How high were the planes flying at the time, and we're they given a parachute? Grin

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@idonno 

Some things make no sense.

I have just come off line after trying to add driver details for a hire car I am picking up from CDG next weekend. I was unable to do it on line with the company but I did notice that if I made any changes, since the price of hire had reduced since I made the booking last February (advance booking cheaper right?) then the price would be 85 Euros less than what I had paid!

Madness right, but a change had to be made in order to get the saving.

Well because I was unable to make changes to the driver details I thought, well why not change the pick up time by half an hour later which did and hey presto, I am now 85 Euros in credit which I'm hoping will be refunded back onto my bank card.

Will now phone them t'morrow to see how to add another driver although I supect that can be done at the desk by producing a second drivers licence along with that all important check code.

Do we all know what a check code is? As no code, no car handed over. Sad 

Jonpe
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

@idonno wrote:

How they can justify £100 more for a one way flight is beyond me.

Flexible flights are always considerably more expensive.  If you cancel, especially at short notice, they might not be able to sell that seat to someone else.  If you had a non-flexible ticket and decided not to fly, they still keep the money which more than covers the cost of flying an empty seat.

Have you noticed how (at least some) airlines charge, and advertise, cheap flights to a destination, then when you look into it, the return flight is much more expensive.  Most people want to come back so have no choice but to buy a return ticket.

RobPN
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 4

@Minivanman wrote:

... I am now 85 Euros in credit which I'm hoping will be refunded back onto my bank card.

... how to add another driver although I supect that can be done at the desk by producing a second drivers licence ...

@Minivanman 

For which, if they're anything like RyanAir, they'll probably charge you 85 Euros for not doing it online!  Grin

idonno
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

@RobPN wrote if they're anything like RyanAir, they'll probably charge you 85 Euros for not doing it online!  Grin

Very true. In the good old days RyanAir were fun to go with: Can recall paying about £10 return, Bristol to Dublin, now its let's have yer money. And if you're a pauper (no online access), they want even more..

@Jonpe  I wouldn't have minded a flexible fare but it wasn't. So no chance of cancelling anyway, especially as it would have been flying today at 11am.

Fortunately, in the end, the wife decided to pay her respects by phone. They certainly do funerals fast out East though. Died one day, buried the next! As for the flights, going in 2 weeks time now. For the cost of one ticket at short notice, we get 2.

Phew animated emoticonThat's more like it.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
RobPN
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 4

@idonno wrote:

They certainly do funerals fast out East though. Died one day, buried the next! 

Isn't that a muslim requirement?

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@RobPN 

I think it is along with Judaism - something to do with the heat as well?

Highlighted
wisty
Pro
Fixes: 7

I was once told that Ryanair  (internally) call last minute bookings Funeral Fares because such a high proportion of such flights are  taken by people going funerals.

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 89

@Minivanman 

Do we all know what a check code is? As no code, no car handed over.

We do, if you only have a photocard licence i.e no pink paper supplement then you need a code from the DVLA to give to the rental company. https://www.gov.uk/government/news/hiring-a-vehicle

you'll probably need codes for all the drivers

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@MisterW 

I have all that and now the check code for both myself and the Mrs.

I was just asking others knew what it was. Smiley

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 89

No problem, I just wasn't sure from your post