cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This new Digital Bill thingiemabob?

mrmarkus1981
Grafter

This new Digital Bill thingiemabob?

Havent seen a thread on this, or maybe i missed it, in which case i apologise.
Does anyone know the deal here, Is this like the ACS:LAW thingie where people are accused of downloading illegal material and then cut off after 3 letters?
If lawyers cant prove that YOU downloaded the material, then how are ISP's going to be able to prove it? Do they have to prove it, or can they just decide to cut you off? . Its all very rushed in my opinion.
HAPPY FRIDAY BTW  Grin Cheesy
10 REPLIES
David_W
Rising Star

Re: This new Digital Bill thingiemabob?

They don't need to prove it was you, they don't even need to follow judicial procedure, you're guilty without a way to prove you're innocent.  The ISP's will give out the IP address, they will get the address for the IP address (from the ISP? Not sure) and then send out a nasty letter.  3 letters later the ISP restricts their internet to "unusable" levels.
First person to lo-jack the Queen's wi-fi and get her sent a nasty letter wins the internet.
What happens though when people spoof Parliaments IP address?  Or when people from the military use a military IP to download content?  Will Parliament and the military be forced to wage war on a 33.6 connection?
scootie
Grafter

Will Parliament and the military be forced to wage war on a 33.6 connection?

i like that comment, but do you really think any copyright holder would start a war with any goverment.
all that follows is my opion.
its very likely that the likes of warner brothers, universal studios ect have sent the usa goverment and uk goverment officals very large baskets of fruit  Wink . seems in return for this in the uk the MP's was asked to stay at home during the debate period and just turn up to vote it through.
in my view this bill is bad news for PN as people are going to be running proxies and vpn connections ect to carry on the way they have been doing and so i can see a war on these connection being carried out as they will be the new bandwidth cost for PN. yet again this will mean the inconnet home work ect will draged down with it all.
does any one else think the internet it going to end up all as a TOR network once goverments start acting like china and saying what we can and cant do. ive used my connection as a rely on the tor network on and off since getting an unlimited usage connection, am very put off by acting as a exit client thoe on the tor network in this country anyway
David_W
Rising Star

I still think lo-jacking the Queen's wi-fi would work wonders, a vulnerable pensioner getting threatening letters from nasty men about her downloading German adult content!
The bill was wrote by the media companies, it's going on to Ofcom where the media companies will have their say before Ofcom decides that everyone should be treated like a criminal.
When vulnerable people start to get threatening letters through the door though, that champion of justice... the Sun, will herald on the front page, except it's controlled by RM so maybe they won't, which newspaper will bring the stories to the front line?
The bill also has to pass the European courts, it could quite well be that the human rights act will prevent the bill taking effect if internet access is a human right.  It's all very complicated, all very muddled, but the media companies get what they want, money without having to evolve their service into one that people would use rather than pirating.  The pirates, arghh, will stick to Usenet and encrypted traffic.  P2P isn't really all that good for the hard core pirates, it's too slow, they want private FTP servers, usenet, things where their connection can't be monitored and where the media companies can't track their IP addresses.
Moominfish
Grafter

Quote from: mrmarkus1981
Havent seen a thread on this, or maybe i missed it, in which case i apologise.

Yeah there is another thread I posted here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,85058.0.html in the Web and Internet section, mainly because this Digital Economy Bill is mostly to do with the Internet.
scootie
Grafter

am sure the mods will merge the 2 threads if you both agree
Moominfish
Grafter

I've no problem with that Smiley
dgdclynx
Grafter

More on ACS: Law in this article....
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/apr/12/digital-economy-bill-households-piracy
Sorry I cant remember where original ACS: Law article was posted.
soulAdequate
Dabbler

Quote from: dgwebb

The bill also has to pass the European courts, it could quite well be that the human rights act will prevent the bill taking effect if internet access is a human right. 

I wouldn't rely on the European Convention of Human Rights (on which the Human Rights Act is based) for anything - the text is riddled with loopholes and exceptions - even Article 2 on Right to Life has an exception allowing the death penalty - read it for yourself:
http://conventions.coe.int/treaty/en/Treaties/Html/005.htm
A lot of the well known cases which are supposedly due to the Convention are I suspect mostly where authority figures have said something along the lines of "can't do nuffink - yuman rites innit" as an excuse for inaction where they can't or won't admit the real reason
David_W
Rising Star

Two things! (in the voice of Jimmy Carr)
"the detention of a minor by lawful order for the purpose of educational supervision or his lawful detention for the purpose of bringing him before the competent legal authority;"
Detention for educational supervision?  Let's lock up the under-age chavs and educate them properly!
Competent Legal Authority?  Maybe the human rights were designed for Cloud Cuckoo land where the legal authorities are competent!
Yeah, I can't do Jimmy Carr.  I honestly thought that the human rights prevented the death penalty, I'm kind of shocked that the right to life can be over-rode by a competent legal authority.
"Nothing in Articles 10, 11 and 14 shall be regarded as preventing the High Contracting Parties from imposing restrictions on the political activity of aliens."
Oh dear, so when ET comes down, we can't force him to vote the way we want?  Crazy  this is a pretty interesting article!
WildRose52
Grafter

I anticipate there`ll be problems if kids ignore it & keep downloading,
unknown to their parents.
How many teens will take notice of their parents having received a
couple of warning letters?
Next minute, : `oops where`s the internet gone?`  (probably a question
from a teens very irate mum or dad !)
Of course when ppl download they can often get more than they bargained
for :-
Torrent download spiked with copyright protection software
http://www.thetechherald.com/article.php/201015/5496/Torrent-download-spiked-with-copyright-protecti...
Funny though :  criminals scamming criminals.