Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This makes me really annoyed - treatment of some old people in the NHS

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

This makes me really annoyed - treatment of some old people in the NHS

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-12464824
The NHS is failing to treat elderly patients in England with care, dignity and respect, an official report says.
The Health Service Ombudsman came to the conclusion after carrying out an in-depth review of 10 cases.
The ombudsman, which deals with serious complaints against the NHS, said the patients - aged over 65 - suffered unnecessary pain, neglect and distress.
Charities said the findings were "sickening", while the government admitted improvement was needed.
While the ombudsman's Care and Compassion report is only based on 10 cases, the ombudsman said they were far from isolated examples.
Of nearly 9,000 complaints made to the ombudsman last year, 18% were about the care of older people. In total, it accepted 226 cases for investigation - twice as many as for all the other age groups combined.
and this is after all the extra money was pumped in and obviously wasted if it couldn't even look after the elderly with a modicum of care and decency
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: This makes me really annoyed - treatment of some old people in the NHS

I fully agree.  This has been going on for many years.  Listening to the discussions on the radio this morning many people put it down to the way the NHS has been taken over by the bureaucrats who are more concerned with paperwork than patients. Having said that we have to acknowledge that there are some excellent facilities in many hospitals and care homes.
Fixes: 123

I read that after reading the following:
'My mother suffered appalling care for a fractured hip'
I'm sure there are many more horror stories.
Thankfully this was not reflected in my own experience when my dad was very ill last year. I felt that, on the most part, he had excellent care. It was the ambulance transfer service that him down the majority of times leaving him waiting for hours at a time. The ward staff were always very helpful and compassionate.
I wonder whether this was partly because I was always there letting them know of my presence, asking questions and always reading the reports on him. If he wasn't eating, etc I would make sure they knew I was aware of it.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

nadger
Rising Star

Have to say that I've been very fortunate with the care and attention I received when in High Wycombe General, Churchill Oxford & St Mary's Paddington.
I did, however, see incidents where elderly people weren't treated so well but have to say that the people's own attitude, plus that of their family, didn't help in some of the cases.
eg The vascular unit, at St Mary's, is on the 9th floor and one woman's family were putting her in a wheelchair and taking her down in the lift and out of the hospital for a smoke. She refused to eat hospital food, which wasn't that bad, so they were bringing in food and were really rude to the nurses.
johpal
Grafter

I won't tar all my NHS colleagues with the same brush. However, I have lamented in the past, in this forum, that the ever increasing pressure to have "all graduate" professions within the NHS excludes many capable people from jobs where patient care is vital. Too often, I see junior colleagues trying to clamber the greasy pole of promotion by producing "research", based on statistics, etc. generally promoting their own self-interest and refusing to "soil their hands" with actual patient work, seen as being a menial task. At the most basic level, such people do not have good communication skills.
We need a serious rethink about training all future hospital staff. It need not primarily be a question of financial reward (important though that is), but personally, I find job satisfaction has seriously diminished.
Let's also strike a balance. Some years ago, the NHS Patient's Charter was produced. This made it clear that patients also have responsibilities when using the service. The number of people not turning up on time, if at all, or being downright abusive to staff is on the increase. If you want to look where the money is going in the NHS, look at the sheer waste caused by some people's thoughtlessness!
nadger
Rising Star

Given the choice between the old fashioned staff nurse and the new university student nurses I'll take the old staff nurse any day of the week.
Three years on the wards meant that they'd got the communication skills needed to deal with patients and done every task from dogs body upwards.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the discussion on BBC Essex this morning went on from 7 to mid day. Apparently not just UK, Australia as well
They actually had the Female ombuds person on live early on
the case she talked about was a woman MS patient who was thirsty, the "carer" put her drink on the bed table and walked away, the woman was completely incapable and didnt get the drink
About four years ago, SWMBO was an inpatient at the Local Main, at that time, they didnt have a meal list, now they do.  when the trolley reached her, they had no suitable meals  IBS, sent down to the canteen and the idiots came back with Chilli Con Carne, take it or hard luck, not even a decent sandwich
we have also witnessed meal being dumped of bed table, and taken away cold, as the patient was incapable of feeding themselves
Nadger
That point was also made just before 12 by an old style Sister who was fed up with the paper work and downgraded back to hands on caring nursing for less money
Community Veteran

My wife was trained in the traditional way and used her skills thus obtained to the benefit of all her patients. This was reflected in the civic function at her retirement expressing their appreciation of her. During her run of updating courses, she became aware of the plans for all graduate nurses. It was the united view of her tutors that this was a disaster in the making. I think that they have been proved right. She had a spell of nursing in a major hospital in Canada where the degree path for training was in use, it was clear to her that the doctors valued all the "Limey" staff because they did their job well and really nursed their patients, as opposed to the resident staff who exhibited the traits outlined by johpal above. Sadly this is unfortunate evidence that all that comes across the Atlantic is bound to be better for us!!
C.  Sad
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Most NHS Trusts (What a word to use Trust) have a CEO on a salary of £100,000 + a year.
Perhaps if these people got off their backsides and took a walk around the wards on a regular basis they would see what was going on. You need no qualifications to see that a ward is dirty or food left at the end of patients beds or if most of the staff are actually on the ward or in the office. A few minutes speaking to patients and relatives would provide far more relevant information than hours of meetings.
After these incidents how many times do we hear the same old stuff trotted out..... We have learned lessons.........We are changing our procedures... etc, etc
If we go back to the 1960/ 1970 there are reams of reports on some of the old mental hospitals where the patients were treated badly and those reports all contained recommendations of how these things could be avoided but it seems we never learn and the same mistakes are being repeated !!
Community Veteran

what nursing most requires is common sense and that cannot be learned in a classroom.  nursing was in the past a way for a young uneducated woman to get ahead.  she could rise to staff nurse and even to matron if willing to dedicate herself.  so long as the young person applying is literate and moderately numerate, no other qualification is needed.
the beeb showed some nursing tutor rabbiting to a group of students.  there was a techno-dummt lying on the bed.  tutor fella goes up to dummy and says in that overly and annoyingly cheerful way 'good morning.  how are you today' and when the dummy says 'not so well' blithely ignores that remark and introduces himself, telling the students how important this is.  most important is LISTEN TO WHAT THE PATIENT IS SAYING.
jazz
Grafter

It seems to me that the thought of "Geriatric Ward" today is about as welcoming and inviting as "Workhouse" was 150 years ago. 
You really have to be well enough to look after yourself in hospitals these days - nurses don't seem to think that they are there to look after you.  They look after the equipment and the questionnaires. Angry
community
Grafter

Having witnessed so many distressing happenings , some of them even to my wife, over the past few years, I still long for the care and attention I myself received on my first few  stays in hospital in the 1950's and 60's.
Today, the spirit of "caring" is long gone from too many staff.
I have seen for myself in the last few years many of the appaling happenings already raised in these tv programmes.
I fear for what could happen to me when my turn comes for serious illnesses and have instructed my son not to allow me to be taken in "care".

If my time is up, I want to spend it at home.......
bluewhale
Rising Star

Quote from: community
Today, the spirit of "caring" is long gone from too many staff.

i think you'll find that should really be 'Today, the spirit of "caring" is long gone from the UK...
certainly my recent experiences would say that was the case, i do live in London though so may not be fair to extrapolate to the UK
Community Veteran

I do wonder how much of this is actually a reflection of society in general.  Sad
(and that includes our "blame culture" where there always has to be a scapegoat)  Roll eyes
pierre_pierre
Grafter

having witnessed it first hand, I can quote plenty of examples.
This happened to the Care home my Mother is in just last week.
The Manager left to set up her own business, and a new broom came in last week, first item, it was to regimented, so she said right the staff  shall have a choice of top, I saw purple,green, blue.  Two weeks ago all carers  the same colour., nursing staff another,cleaners another
Question, how do the inmates tell which one is a carer?, her answer they all have name badges on, that will tell them.  Trouble is that 90 percent are GaGa (my mother is in their for medical reason, she has a knee to shoulder corset on 24/7 and needs several to move her)