cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This made me smile..... a bit !

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

This made me smile..... a bit !

Went to the National Rail Museum in York, over the New Year hols, and had to use the lift to cross from the entrance to the main hall... it is only a "one floor" journey.... (ground level to lower level, short tunnel under the road, and then back in another lift up to ground level)... was amused with the wording on the control panel....

Erm..... what else can you do? in an emergency ? ?   Roll eyes
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: This made me smile..... a bit !

Pressing the emergency button triggers an explosive shaped charge which severs the lift cable and plunges the car down into a reservoir at the base of the lift shaft. You end up to your neck in water. The water is infested with Candiru fish.
A voice recording plays back through overhead speakers:"Your request for an emergency has been granted. We're pleased to have been of assistance."
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I dunno.. if you press it you might enjoy hanging around  Cheesy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Razer
Grafter

Another post I'm just not getting. Can someone explain what's so amusing?
Community Veteran

Doh!...  Roll eyes
Community Veteran

The lift serves just two floors - ground and first.
In an emergency you're going to be going to one of them anyway. Then you have the up and down buttons.. instead of just one that says "go to the other stop". The whole panel is pointless but a tad amusing. Then there is the thing that many lift emergency buttons actually STOP the lift where it is - pointless if you're only travelling one floor.
@shutter got any pics of the Mallard or some of the old slammers from the 80's and 90's?
Razer
Grafter

An emergency doesn't meant the lift is going to go to one of the floors. It may be stuck between floors. It may stop at any point and the doors won't open at all.
Community Veteran

And the amusing point is..................................
Press the emergency button,.... and  " Wait For Assistance"..... as if you could  go somewhere else and do something else....  You are stuck in the lift, for g`s sake....
Now . do you get it    Roll eyes Roll eyes Roll eyes
Community Veteran

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

My Grandad was a Boiler Maker, and has his name on at least one of the Locomotives.
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
@  Sprite.
A few pics from the main hall.....

Thats some really impressive hardware there isn't there! They don't make em like that anymore. I find it fascinating to think that at one point they were all over the country and now we have very few. It's a terrible shame isn't it. I really must try to get up there at some point, the NRM is a wondferful place for train buffs. I really must see the Mallard in person..
Where is the APT-E now?
Community Veteran

Quote from: Sprite
@  Sprite.
A few pics from the main hall.....

Where is the APT-E now?

According to wiki......

The APT-E, for Advanced Passenger Train Experimental, was the prototype Advanced Passenger Train tilting train unit. It was powered by gas turbines, the only multiple unit so powered that was used by British Rail.
The unit was only intended for testing and was never used in ordinary public service, although it did carry office staff and the occasional dignitaries on trial runs. When its period of testing was complete, in June 1976, it was sent to the National Railway Museum, York for preservation. It is now based at the NRM's Locomotion museum in Shildon. When further APT Class 370 units were built, they were powered by 25 kV AC electrification.

See also.....
http://www.apt-e.org/
Community Veteran

I'd really like to see the APT-E running one day. From what I read about it once last year it's not been run since BR ended the project years ago. I got vague details about the engines; I knew it was turbine powered but I seem to remember reading somewhere that the engines had been removed but mothballed into storage somewhere and that the NRM couldn't afford the fuel bill to actually run them up anyway.
I'd really love to see it running again at some point (and to get a ride on it!). Incredible machine it really is.
Razer
Grafter

Now . do you get it

No ...
Just kidding. Well, that's another one that completely passed me by. ... Roll on the new brain being fitted.