cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This is wrong

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

This is wrong

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/9685304/Wife-of-jailed-SAS-hero-appeals-to-Prime-Mini...;
Should of suffered 'confiscation' only, with possibly a minor reprimand
If he was on the 'other side', preaching hatred, had the gun, driving without a licence, insurance and MOT, he could have played the 'Human Rights' card and be outside.
32 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: This is wrong

I just don't get this case. There are so many mitigating circumstances.
There are gang members found hiding guns who get more leniently treated than this.
Even without the memory problem he's a soldier. Guns are the tools of his trade. He can't have been the first to find that he had a gun where he shouldn't. In a soldiers case it's just an error nothing more and should be treated as such.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

This is another case where common sense does not seem to come into the equation.
The Law is, quite correctly very strict when it comes to illegal possession of firearms but that should not stop a judge even in a military court of applying common sense. By all means action should have been taken but this is going to far. Not only will he suffer but his family face losing their home !
Community Veteran

If I recollect correctly I think the Army was a bit annoyed that he also had a few hundred rounds of ammunition hidden at a convenient location.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: billnotben
I just don't get this case. There are so many mitigating circumstances.
There are gang members found hiding guns who get more leniently treated than this.
Even without the memory problem he's a soldier. Guns are the tools of his trade. He can't have been the first to find that he had a gun where he shouldn't. In a soldiers case it's just an error nothing more and should be treated as such.

It was a Military Court Martial though, not a Civil Criminal Court.
The Military come down very hard on this sort of case.
tinto
Grafter

I just don't believe anyone with that background of military service and rank could possibly forget about having a firearm in their possession.  All arms of the military have always collected mementos, but when leaving an active service zone, it used to be that all personnel were specifically reminded that weaponry of any kind was excluded, on the understanding  that if any turned up thereafter dire consequences would  follow.
Given the world we live in now compared with about fifty years ago, I'd doubt the rules have changed any.   
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

He had a verified, identified mental breakdown illness with a long name which leads to forgetfulness, according to a Military Paper Reviewer on SKY News this morning.
itsme
Grafter

At the time he received the gun? He should not have accepted the gun or handed it in at the time. This is when the offence was committed. When was the medical conidtion diagnosed in relation to when he accepted the gun?
alanf
Aspiring Pro

Sentence reduced to 12 months suspended.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-20547557
Also "Judges will rule on whether Nightingale's convictions should be overturned at a later date."
Strange to reduce the sentence first and then decide to review the charge later I would have thought.
Community Veteran

Common sense finally prevailed.
But only after a huge waste of time and tax payers money.
Heloman
Grafter

I pray that his conviction will also be overturned.
For him to lose not only his job but his pension as well would be unforgivable.
After my father, who was a bank manager, died many years ago, I found that locked away in his safe was a German Luger automatic pistol + ammo. Apparently it was a "souvenir" from WW2.
Fortunately, shortly thereafter there was an amnesty for illegal weapons to be handed in, and I was able to take them down to the local police station - no questions asked Embarrassed .
Community Veteran

Seriously?
The bloke not only had a live gun in his home but also 300 rounds of ammo. On top of that, he is a trained Assasin - one of the countrys best because he is SAS.
Do you think it's a clever idea to let him off the hook? Do you not remember the school shootings in the past (Dunblane i think)? Do you not remember that Taxi driver who went around shooting people before shooting himself?
The bloke went into a job where he knew he would be expected to kill people. You need a slightly violent and aggressive mentality to do a job like that. Do you think it's a wise idea to let someone have a gun in their home with those traits, skills and risk?
I don't.
Here's my take on it. He kept a weapon that could potentially be used to kill. He kept ammunition that could be used. He had a wife and child (imagine loosing them for whatever reason). He is a trained killer. It just needed one little thing to flip the switch and you have the makings of a mass murderer on the loose and the next sensational TV headlines. Then you would all be asking how this happened, why was he allowed to keep the gun and ammo, why did he do it, why don't the SAS control their members? etc. You would all be singing from a totally different hymn sheet.
What has happened is terrible. He has effectively used his wife to plea to the nation that her daughter will be without a daddy "at christmas" and invoked the sympathy of the nation for his wrong doing. This man could have been very dangerous. For all you know, next year he could have driven past in a car and SHOT YOU.
The other weird thing about this.. it took what.. a week to get 100K signatures on a petition about this. Why did it then take 3-4 months for FairFuelUK to get 100K signatures when everyone hates the current fuel situation? - We all moan about it and slate the government daily (yes that includes me), you all hate the price increases in EVERYTHING that it affects, yet people would rather sign a petition to get a trained killer released for keeping his own potentially lethal weapons. I can't help but wonder why?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Quote from: Sprite
You need a slightly violent and aggressive mentality to do a job like that.

Do you really believe that? I would have thought that the opposite is true. That you have to be very stable with all your wits about you or you and your comrades survival rate will be next to zero.
Luckily for Sgt Danny Nightingale the vast majority of the country don't believe being a gung ho aggressive nutter is a necessary, or even a remotely required qualification, to join our armed forces.
Community Veteran

No normal person wants to kill anyone. You join the SAS knowing exactly what you will have to do.
As for the nation agreeing, again I remind you that his wife has invoked the sympathy of the nation by saying her daughter will be without her daddy for christmas. That is why people got involved here along with the hero thing.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Heloman
Grafter

Quote from: Sprite
No normal person wants to kill anyone. You join the SAS knowing exactly what you will have to do.

In my experience, no armed service personnel (including SAS) want to kill anyone. They are there to defend the country, not because they are killing machines.
The nation agreed with his wife's campaign for release because most right-thinking people appreciated that his punishment was totally out of proportion. Not just because she wanted him home for Christmas!!!
I think you have a very strange idea of our servicemen.