cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This is so very true and worrying..

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

This is so very true and worrying..

but i wonder how many of you will say the opposite and argue that its a good thing.. just because i posted it Roll eyes

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-4748266/RICHARD-LITTLEJOHN-Britain-s-punishment-culture.ht...

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Re: This is so very true and worrying..

I was aware of this - the bike pump - but I hadn't seen the picture

Having seen it I wonder why he didn't put it where he has bikes parked and the path is much wider.

Where it is at present any cyclist using it will certainly block the path given the width and the H sign so I would suspect that the shop owner is just being awkward

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

7up wrote:

but i wonder how many of you will say the opposite and argue that its a good thing.. just because i posted it Roll eyes

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-4748266/RICHARD-LITTLEJOHN-Britain-s-punishment-culture.ht...

But how can we say the opposite ?

You have posted the link but have not been clear as to whether or not you agree with it.

Wink

jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

I agree with @Oldjim , but I also tend (broadly) to agree with Littlejohns comments.

John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Oldjim wrote:

Where it is at present any cyclist using it will certainly block the path given the width and the H sign so I would suspect that the shop owner is just being awkward

not just that.
but the shop keeper is opening themselves up to the "blaim claim game" if someone uses and it damages their bike, or causes injury whilst using it.

shop keeper could easily keep the "free air" service but just have it located sensibly.

of course, the daily mail takes any opportunity to blow something out of proporation to satisfy the type of readers they have (and the less said about them the better).

Community Veteran

One of the most annoying things is that we are constantly told council tax has to rise due to the council needing extra money for essentials yet at the same time they have the money to employ these people who see things in black and white.

A tissue falls out of your pocket or a bus ticket blows away.....that's litter and you have to pay a fine.

If I was in the countryside I could drop litter all day without the chance of being fined, if people can get away with it in the countryside why pick on those in certain towns and cities ?

Not of course that I am advocating that people drop litter in the countryside.

Community Veteran

surely it doesn't matter where it is? it's still not acceptable to drop litter?
just because someone might get away with something does that mean we ignore it when someone is caught doing it?

do we ignore all speeders just because someone speeds on a country lane and no-one sees it?

Community Veteran

Agreed but common sense should be applied when deciding if someone has dropped litter deliberately or accidentally.

Community Veteran

ah but whether deliberately or accidentally, if it's dropped it's dropped.
if they don't pick it up then it's litter.
Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

Oldjim wrote:

I was aware of this - the bike pump - but I hadn't seen the picture

Having seen it I wonder why he didn't put it where he has bikes parked and the path is much wider.

yes, where it's placed does not seem that sensible

@7up Dare I actually agree with you to some extent?Wink Do some of these silly incidents, though arise from the lack of nous of the officer concerned, or maybe from target culture? Assessment is good, if so many tickets issued, and withdrawal of the more stupid is not attributed back to the officer's next assessment.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran

there may be a third option apart from lack of nouse and target culture.
there are those who purposely do things to attract the attention brought by such enforcement.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I rarely look at the daily fail links posted on this forum, but had a look anyway, and this comment on the article made me laugh:

"So you can't leave a bike pump outside a bike shop during business hours, yet we are expected to believe there will be thousands of roadside charging points for electric cars by 2040?"

A point well made, just imagine, you stop to recharge, only to be fined for leaving a cable running across the footpath... Funny

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Is this the same Richard Littlejohn domiciled in Florida, and who criticised teacher Lucy Meadows for returning to the same school after she had gender reassignment? She later committed suicide and was buried.... along with the Mail's article.

Well of course it is and yet this disgusting little rag still prints his bile and [-Censored-].

As for this article, when did Littlejohn suddenly come over all liberal?

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Avoidance of swear filter edited as per Forum rules.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Minivanman wrote:

As for this article, when did Littlejohn suddenly come over all liberal?

If it makes for a good story, they'll print it... Funny

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Fake news sells Cheesy

But some councils are just out to make cash from fines

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .