cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This is going to put the cat among the pigeons - BT line rental (no broadband)

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

This is going to put the cat among the pigeons - BT line rental (no broadband)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39112871

The planned price cut will effectively reverse cost rises seen in recent years, Ofcom said. BT customers, who pay £18.99 per month for a landline-only contract, would pay no more than £13.99.

BT is not alone in raising its prices. Major industry players have increased line rental prices by between 25% and 49% in real terms in recent years, while wholesale prices have fallen by about 26%, Ofcom said.

20 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: This is going to put the cat among the pigeons - BT line rental (no broadband)

Is that for a copper pair with a usage tariff on top, or just a copper pair with no phone usage allowed? Like you would have for an alarm system. Not very clear.

Community Veteran

Re: This is going to put the cat among the pigeons - BT line rental (no broadband)

Many will say about time phone only customers stopped subsidising broadband.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Now if only they'd get off their backsides and install actual fibreoptics, I want 1Gbps damnit!!! Grin

Community Veteran

The interesting part is that one of my referrals who is on a really old Plusnet limited use tariff with BT phone may see a reduction - will wait and see the detail

this covers it to a very limited extent http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/7648-ofcom-plans-to-slash-bt-consumer-line-rental.html

Community Veteran

Sorry, it's still ambiguous! If you have a landline only from BT and a broadband service from someone else, is the landline ringfenced and eligible for a reduction? Or is that considered not to be a "landline only"?

Community Veteran

Of course it is ambiguous as it is still a consultation hence my comment about waiting for the detail

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

Surely even if BB is coming from another provider, the line is the medium, so either a higher rental has to be paid to BT directly, or in the BB providers' charges. Anyhow this seems to be for the few, who have no services other than phone, and so makes us others pay as now. I see nothing wrong in that. Our moaning arises out of the English wanting all for nothing.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran

Oldjim wrote:

Of course it is ambiguous as it is still a consultation hence my comment about waiting for the detail

So if that's the case why is it a "planned price cut" as seems to have been reported?

Community Veteran

Because the BBC as usual have added an inaccurate headline

From the text

Customers who only buy landline services from BT are set to get at least £5 a month taken off their bills under plans set out by the telecoms regulator, Ofcom.

and from TBB

This is not written in stone just yet, as the plan has to go out to consultation and one can envisage that while BT Consumer does have the lions share of the standalone market, those smaller providers who have always undercut BT Consumer by £3 to £5 month may have something to say if they are suddenly competing against BT Consumer standalone line rental at £13.99 per month, it is conceivable that some of low cost standalone line rental providers may exit the market increasing the dominance of BT Consumer. The proposals also apply to those who take a voice only service and make use of line rental saver.

Community Veteran

As someone who is penalised by PlusNet and charged more for my Broadband, because my line rental is with a different company, I'm interested in this.

The other company of course does not give a discount on phone line rental because it's not providing broadband (which it does at a subsidised price to customers who have both with them).

Community Veteran

I'm hoping this will reduce the subsidising. I can understand a small amount but it's getting too much. Why should I pay so much more just to reduce what someone else is paying.

If this carries on a "good price" will  soon be available only if you want phone/broadband/tv/mobile.

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

BT used to have what was called a Low User Tariff which worked out at about £11/quarter if you made no calls at all.  This was abolished some years ago, but BT claimed at the time to have something equally good for people who hardly used their landlines.

I'm all in favour of paying for what I use, whether it be telephone calls, broadband download, electricity, gas etc.  I don't use the phone very much at all so my calls effectively cost me about £6 each.  I'd like to see a slightly higher per minute charge instead of the line rental, and as someone whose download has never exceeded £35 GB (before the meter disappeared) I'm effectively subsidising those here who boast about exceeding £800GB.  My electricity and gas supplier used to have a no-standing-charge tariff, but that's now gone and I have to pay £200 p.a. whether I use gas and electricity or not.

The Post Office doesn't require me to be a member in order to use their services, neither does Tesco demand that I pay a membership fee to be allowed to shop with them (althought they encourage me to be in their 'club' Smiley).

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Whether someone downloads 30GB or 3000GB in a month, it doesn't really matter, data is not a finite resource like a tank of water slowly draining off, internet access charges are just a key to the gate that opens up to the information superhighway, so this "subsidising others" who download more is like complaining about people who use roads more often than you do as they're utilising what they have to the full...

Minivanman
Hero

@billnotben

'Many will say about time phone only customers stopped subsidising broadband.'

Nail on the head Thumbs Up

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.