cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This is crazy what ever next

wacky17
Grafter

This is crazy what ever next

I really dont see no point in prisons no more, they seem that they are just free hotels which are paid by the tax payer. When you are convicted of a crime and sent to prison i always thought you gave up all your rights when you committed the crime because you didnt keep to the law and treated others with no respect. You also go to prison (a place of confinement or involuntary restraint) to pay (punished) for what you did wrong but now whats the point as you get free meals, bed, room, social life, do sport, watch tv and now have the right to vote when everyone else is struggling to make ends meat or even still losing their homes. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11671164
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: This is crazy what ever next

I saw a program the other night about "Coppers" and what amazed me was the attitude of the Police to some of these people brought into the police station.... They were laughing and joking with them.
I don't go along with the system of years ago where you might get a pasting but equally the system has swung to far the other way and has now become just a game of cops and robbers.
A Night in the cells with no food other than bread and water along with reduced heating might make some of these people less likely to reoffend.
I would stop all benefits and give them work to do in return for the average wage.........refuse to work and you can starve !
Remember millions of innocent people throughout the world starve because they have no work..... here we have people who refuse to work yet still get food and shelter (booze & Drugs)
The only exceptions to this are those people who are genuinely mentally ill.
johpal
Grafter

Many years ago, in the Netherlands, certain categories of prisoner were allowed day release, to perform their usual job, returning to prison after work. This meant they kept their jobs and earned a salary to keep their families, instead of relying on benefits. Arguably, if such a system were to be applied here, you could charge "board & lodging" fees for the accommodation. It wouldn't be suitable for everybody, of course...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I Wonder if they still do this in the Netherlands. More than likely the EU has put a stop to it.
I can't imagine how most honest people doing lousy jobs, often in poor or dangerous conditions and getting the minimum wage feel about this.
Add to that VAT is going to increase along with NI contributions, Energy bills and a whole list of things it's likely a number of people will lose their homes or end up divorced as a result of the pressure.
It seems the less you care and adopt this couldn't care less attitude the more help you get equally the more you conform to the Normal rules the less you get.
I Just thank god I am an old man !!
Fixes: 123

...prisoners must have a legitimate channel through which to air their grievances.

Why?
What channel do victims get?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

pierre_pierre
Grafter

apparently a man who killed with an axe took out a private case saying the lack of a vote was against his human rights, that started the ball rolling