cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This annoys me

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

This annoys me

This family is being given £800 a month to Live in this house worth over a million pounds.
By all means give them accommodation but not something that is costing this much.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2025895/Housing-benefits-Somali-asylum-seeker-Saeed-Khaliifs...
And before anyone classes me as racist the same should also apply to anyone else living in this country irrespective of status or colour !
37 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: This annoys me

Correction I should have said £8,000 a month !!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

From the third paragraph...
"demanded"
How come?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

It's really quite sickening that anyone living at the taxpayer's expense can demand to be moved into such accomodation, as long as they were not overcrowded in their previous 6 bedroom home how can they possibly expect to be moved upmarket at our expense?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

I hope the new maximum limit of £400 a week will apply to this family when it comes in.  This is a disgrace Angry
nadger
Rising Star

Housing benefit was recently capped at £400 per week, but the Khaliifs are able to claim more because they moved before the change came into force.

Community Veteran

‘As claims come up for renewal, people on housing benefit will have to make the same choices as people in work about where they can afford to live,’
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2025895/Housing-benefits-Somali-asylum-seeker-Saeed-Khaliifs-family-2m-house.html#ixzz1V7ygTT2c

A small saving grace, I suppose,
I believe that Housing Benefit has to go through approval with the local council (happy to stand corrected if incorrect), whoever approved this should be brought to account.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

The Department of Work and Pensions said the new rules now in force would make the system fairer. ‘As claims come up for renewal, people on housing benefit will have to make the same choices as people in work about where they can afford to live,’ a spokesman said.

I do hope this will be challenged and his claim thrown out Sad
Community Veteran

‘The family say they wanted to be near friends and relatives in the capital.

And, at  the risk of sounding controversial, I wonder how many of those are also living at the expense of the taxpayer.
[Edit], wrong paste, sorry.
Call me 'w23'
Community Veteran

£8000 a month just for rent.  You can bet we're also paying all their other bills.  Someone in work would have to earn upwards of £200,000 taking tax into account.
From his previous landlord, to whom he still owes a month's rent.
The fact is they were on every kind of benefit available.
‘If the rent on their new property is £8,000 I’m sure they are getting a lot more.’

Community Veteran

Pity they don't sack the dimwit that made this decision.
Seems councils are quite quick to cut essential services yet squander money in this way.
Community Veteran

The two adults have never worked in this country and according to one report today they get incapacity benefit, income support and child benefit which could add thousands of pounds to their monthly haul from the taxpayer.
Community Veteran

Seems councils are quite quick to cut essential services yet squander money in this way.

Our County council spent thousands on a consultancy company to review costs, the result was to cut the wages of certain staff (provifing services for disabled children) by 20p per hour down to minimum wage, they then set up a new 'umbrella company' to administer the new arangements this requiring part-time staff on the lowest possible hourly rate to have to re-apply for CRB in under the new 'company' at the expense of the staff (if they wanted to keep their jobs.  My wife, working a few hours a week, ended up paying about 4 weeks wages to keep her job at a lower rate.
Call me 'w23'
itsme
Grafter

As I have paid twice in the last 5 years for a basic search to work for BT through an agency I thought the 2 higher searches could only be requested by the company and not by the employee. The higher searches are required if working with children.
Community Veteran

I thought the 2 higher searches could only be requested by the company and not by the employee. The higher searches are required if working with children.

I think you are right, the Enhanced CRB is required if working with vulnerable people (children, elderly etc.), I think the application has to go through the employer (or prospective employer) but what makes a difference is whether the employer charges the employee for the cost of the search or (in some cases) pays on behalf of the employee.  The regulations allow for an employer to use an existing CRB obtained through another employer but they can demand a new application.  In our case it was effectively the same employer but they insisted on a new CRB which we had to pay for.
Call me 'w23'