cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This Mornings Earthquake

brad
Grafter

This Mornings Earthquake

Just had an earthquake. Hit my local area at 1am. Not sure if it hit anywhere else in the city / region. Not heard anything on the news. Anyone experience anything similar?
80 REPLIES
brad
Grafter

Re: Ok that was random

Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Yep.. that freaked me out a bit.  The house really was shaking for a good few seconds; preceded by an almightly rumbling.  I've posted to the front-page http://community.plus.net/blog/2008/02/27/sheffield-shakes/ with a link the Sheffield Forum.  That was the first place I checked to make sure it just wasn't our foundations or something.  Looks like a wide area of Sheffield felt it.
Kev
Grafter

Earthquake !!!!!

Did anyone feel the tremors at 01:00 this morning. Watching TV and the house, floor started shaking, very scary.
Our cats were extremely scared.
It is on  Sky news now.
jmd
Grafter

Yes felt it here in Worksop [S81] 1am - it woke me up and shocked me as the whole house shivered................. I would not normally be on the internet at this time but now cannot settle!
BBC says reports coming in of quake West Midlands?
Community Veteran

Re: Earthquake !!!!!

Yep - the epicentre was in the Midlands too apparently so not all that far away from your part of the world. I felt it down in London, but it wasn't particularly strong, and didn't last the minute others have reported.
brad
Grafter

Yep Sky have said it's hit East Anglia, the Midland and the South. Very weird.
jmd
Grafter

felt it in Worksop and Sheffield- see general chit chat..............
frightening..................
Community Veteran

I felt it in Leicester.  My whole house shook.  Pretty frightening actually.
chino
Grafter

sad brad... just sad..
I was updating facebook and you were updating here... who is worst ?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7266136.stm
I think we are about at the same level lol
fusian
Grafter

It was a 4.7, I lived in the states off and on when I was younger and guess I'm used it.
It shook the house here a little but lasted less than 10 seconds. Its a little unusual but reminds me of the small tremor we has in 2002 with a Birmingham epicenter Smiley
I hope everyones ok and not too shook up. Hopefully no aftershock, but all smile, theres no reported casualties or anything, just glad I wasn't on the road Smiley
*hugs to everyone*
Hope your ok Kev!
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

No damage here but everything shuck about a minute in Chesterfield. Seems to be fairly wide spread from the reports I've seen and people I've spoken to.
brad
Grafter

Easy. You. This is a Community site where people read threads about topics. Facebook updates are not really read by anyone in particular.  Tongue
Anywho, Dave has informed me this is a 4.7 on the Richter scale.
Linky http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsww/Quakes/us2008nyae.php#details
chino
Grafter

don't worry brad i was not trying to take your fire... I will now be a good boy and go back and watch my C4OD as i am watching skins.........
Tongue Roll eyes Grin Cheesy Wink Smiley
fusian
Grafter